The best hotels in Charleston
- Historic architecture, a buzzing culinary scene, and close proximity to great coastal scenery all make Charleston, South Carolina a popular year-round destination.
- The city's hotel portfolio is also attractive and showcases small, independent hotels and historic properties, as well as niche offerings from some bigger international brands.
- Outside of high season and specific festivals, entry-level rooms can be found at four-star hotels between $199 and $349 per night. Our top hotels have been chosen based on recent stays, desirable amenities, as well as reviews from trusted traveler sites.
- Read all Business Insider hotel reviews here.
A note from your Insider Reviews travel editor: Coronavirus has interrupted travel on a global scale forcing travelers to cancel and reassess plans in the coming weeks and months. We understand that right now is a challenging time to plan travel. But when this time passes and things return to normal, we know you'll be eager to explore the world again.
Whenever that happens for you, and we know it will, we hope our travel content helps you make informed, useful, and inspiring choices on the best places and hotels to book. So whether you use our reviews now, bookmark them for the future, or simply need an escape from the news, we'll continue to share the world with you. In the meantime, we encourage all travelers to stay safe, follow guidelines from the CDC website, and take precautions.
Despite a turbulent historic onslaught of hurricanes, fires, and military bombardment, Charleston, South Carolina remains one of the United States' best-preserved historic cities. Tens of buildings date back to the city's earliest colonial days in the mid 17th century, and hundreds of others originate in the early 19th century.
Modern-day Charleston is relatively low-rise, bereft of skyscrapers or any large-scale, glass and steel business district. There are lots of chic boutiques and galleries, often with historic-looking facades and many visitors come here to step back in time with a romantic vision of the deep south. There's ample wrought ironwork, palmetto palms, elegant mansions, and mint juleps to be enjoyed on a picturesque porch. A scenic harbor, aromas of night-blooming jasmine, and bistros selling local delicacy she-crab soup all add to the charm.
An increase in tourism has also sparked a rise in hotel development. Most recently, the total for the metro area was around 18,000 total hotel rooms, which is significant for a small city such as Charleston.
I've been visiting Charleston for over a decade to edit and update guidebooks and have personally visited and stayed in every hotel on this list. These hotels offer the best value and most memorable hospitality experiences in the city.
In addition to an impressive range of historic properties with preserved features, there also new, contemporary builds to consider. Most of the best hotels in Charleston are located in and around the downtown historic district.
Traveling elsewhere in the South? Read our list of the best hotels in other popular cities:
- The best hotels in Miami
- The best hotels in New Orleans
- The best hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- The best hotels in Key West
The city is host to some large-scale events that raise accommodation prices across the board, and Charleston is a relatively expensive destination in general, however entry-level rooms at four-star properties can be found between $199 and $349 per night. All choices on this list are based on my own experience reviewing each property, are centrally located with desirable amenities, and incorporate feedback from ratings found on trusted traveler sites such as Trip Advisor and Booking.com.
These are the best Charleston hotels, sorted by price from low to high.
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
The Beach Club at Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina
Zero George Street
The Spectator Hotel
Belmond Charleston Place
- Oct 1 deadline for compulsory e-invoice generation nears for firms with ₹10 crore turnover
- Prospective homebuyers expect property prices to increase
- ICICIdirect launches online platform Flash Trade for F&O traders
- Apple announces offers on iPhone 14 series, AirPods Pro
- Great resignation impact being felt in India as attrition rate remains elevated at 20% in 2022
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World