Trump calls for 6G technology — and that isn’t a thing yet
- The US President,
Donald Trump, took to Twitter to build the hype around 5G technology.
- His tweet didn’t only put the spotlight on 5G technology, but also asked industry leaders to bring in 6G technology into the US.
- The only thing is, 6G technology isn’t really a thing.
I want 5G, and even 6G, technology in the United States as soon as possible. It is far more powerful, faster, and s… https://t.co/quvGzqNGpZ— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 1550757302000
On Thursday, he went on to tweet that 5G and 6G technology are “so obviously the future,” adding that the US needs to “win through competition, not by blocking out currently more advanced technologies."
It’s well known that the full power of 5G is yet to come into force. And, while industry leaders have been pushing more investment into the exploring what 5G is capable of, 5G’s new capabilities are still unknown, aside from improving on what 4G can already do.
No 5G impact — let alone 6G
Trump’s call for quicker 5G deployment is unlikely to have much of an impact in the market. Mobile operators in the US already have plans in place on how 5G networks are going to be deployment and the amount of time it’s going to take.
Even if 6G was on the cards, deploying an entirely new generation of technology doesn’t happen overnight but take years to bring into play. As of now, 6G planning is in most embryonic stages where it’s mostly just theory.
AdvertisementEven the Huawei chief scientist, Richard Li, has said that 6G simply hasn’t been defined yet at the IEEE Spectrum event in August last year.
Or maybe Trump knows something that the tech industry does not know.
India will go 5G by 2020, but you won't feel the difference
AdvertisementSamsung announces a host of 5G-ready smartphones ahead of the Mobile World Congress 2019
In the race for 5G, India needs Huawei more than anyone else
Popular on BI
- DGCA slaps ₹10L fine on Go Air for leaving behind 55 passengers at B'luru airport
- Vedanta Q3 net profit drops 41% on higher input costs
- ED attaches 32 properties worth ₹70 crore in fraudulent TDS refund case
- RRR surpasses Cruise’s Top Gun 2 & Spielberg’s The Fabelmans in the top 10 movies of 2022
- Weekend OTTs: Ayushmann Khurrana’s ‘An Action Hero’ to ghost hunts with ‘Lockwood and Co’