Unemployment in India is at its highest in 45 years – says an Indian daily citing an undisclosed jobs survey
Unemployment ratestands at 6.1% in India, according to an official survey done by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO).
- Two top officials of the National Statistical Commission had resigned on Monday stating that the government withheld the report.
- This is the first official report on jobs to be released after demonetisation.
This is a big blow for Narendra Modi government as the budget session of Parliament – the last one before the next general election – kicks off.
This is allegedly the same report that was reportedly vetted by the two independent members of the National Statistical Commission (NSC), including the acting chairman, who resigned on Monday because the government decided not to make the data public.
AdvertisementThe government dismissed the allegation on Tuesday saying, “NSSO is processing the quarterly data for the period July 2017 to December 2018 and the report will be released thereafter.”
Congress President Rahul Gandhi took to Twitter to comment on the high unemployment rate.
NoMo Jobs! The Fuhrer promised us 2 Cr jobs a year. 5 years later, his leaked job creation report card reveals a… https://t.co/d6mchyxTEh— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) 1548923667000
The survey by NSSO was the first one since the infamous demonetisation in November 2016, which brought the Indian economy to a grinding halt. If the report is made public, and if it does show that unemployment peaked in the aftermath of the note ban, it will deflate the government’s relentless attempt to give the drastic measure a positive spin.
The results of the job survey, as reported by the Business Standard, is in sync with another survey done by Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, which stated that 11 million Indians lost their jobs in 2018, with rural India taking the worst hit reporting 84% of the job losses.
With less than 100 days to the next election, the Narendra Modi government has a handful of controversies to defend against.
AdvertisementModi government has a hidden jobs report — say two independent bureaucrats who just quit
India witnessed its highest unemployment rate in 27 months at 7.38% in December, says CMIE
Only 36% of disabled people in India have found employment: Study
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar
- Protesting farmers break barricades at Delhi borders, entering the national capital ahead of time
- BJD chalks out issues for upcoming budget session of Parliament
- Farmer unions now announce plan to march towards Parliament on Budget day