US is an 'overwhelming favorite' to be a co-host of the 2026 World Cup as bidding process gets fast-tracked
FIFA members voted on Thursday to fast-track the bidding process to decide who will host the 2026 World Cup with the winner or winners to be announced in 2018 instead of 2020 as originally planned.
According to Sam Borden of ESPNFC.com, 93% of the members voted in favor of speeding up the process and that the final decision could be announced as early as next June.
As for who will host the tournament, the consensus among those covering the proceedings is that the joint bid with the United States, Canada, and Mexico are the favorites to co-host the world's biggest soccer tournament. Richard Conway of BBC went as far as to say the North American countries are an "overwhelming favorite."
The US-Canada-Mexico bid had asked for an exclusive window in the bidding process. Instead, FIFA will now accept bids from other countries that want to host.
However, this sounds like a mere formality in an effort to be fully transparent in the wake of FIFA's previous bidding scandals.
"We have to make sure this bidding process is bullet-proof," FIFA president Gianni Infantino said.
Fifa approve fast tracking of 2026 World Cup bidding process. 93% in favour. USA, Mexico, Canada co-host bid still overwhelming favourite.- Richard Conway (@richard_conway) May 11, 2017
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- With inflation cooling, RBI may slash interest rates by 50 bps this financial year
- ULIPs are not for senior citizens: Here’s how to choose the right investments to secure the golden years of your life
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career