Villages to have better irrigation facilities via PMKSY
AdvertisementThe central government today approved a scheme to provide irrigation facilities to every village in India which will also reduce agriculture sector's dependence on monsoon.
The scheme assumes significance as 65% of the total 142 million hectare of cultivable land in the country does not have proper water supply.
According to sources, the PMKSY aims to ensure access to some ways of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in India, to produce 'per drop more crop', thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.
With a budget allocation of Rs 1,000 crore for this fiscal, the scheme proposes to provide flexibility and autonomy to states in the process of planning and executing projects to ensure water supply to farms.
It would also ensure that district and state irrigation plans get prepared on the basis of agro-climatic conditions and sources of availability of water in that region.
Besides, PMKSY seeks to promote extension activities relating to 'on farm water management and crop alignment' for farmers, sources added.
The state agriculture department would be the nodal agency to implement PMKSY projects, while there would also be an inter-ministerial
The PMKSY intends to focus on 'end-to-end solution' in irrigation supply chain by implementing the new programme in a "project mode" with decentralised state-level planning and execution, sources said.
PMKSY funds would be given to states as 75% grant by the central government and the remaining 25% share is to be borne by the
Popular on BI
- PM Modi shares image of tailor on the street using Paytm, calls it a common sight across India
- Adani Enterprises’ ₹20,000 crore FPO fully subscribed on the last day
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- All major automakers except Bajaj Auto expected to register growth in January say brokerages
- India's core sector output rises by 7.4 per cent in December
- Indian start-ups are looking at reverse flipping says Economic Survey
- This cheesecake startup refused to give up a slice of its company for a lower valuation on Shark Tank India
- SC suggest Nirav Modi's bro-in-law to give letter of authority to CBI to access offshore bank accounts