'What comes with a Nintendo Switch?': A guide to what's included with a Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite
- A regular Nintendo Switch comes with everything you need to enjoy gaming at home on a TV, and on-the-go using the Switch as a handheld console.
- The original Switch comes with two small controllers, called Joy-Cons. These can detach from the Switch, and also combine together into one regular-sized controller using the grip that comes with the console.
- There's also a version of the console called the Nintendo Switch Lite, which can only be played in handheld mode, not on a TV. The Joy-Cons on the Switch Lite cannot be removed.
- In order to enjoy local multiplayer games - in other words, games played with someone in the same room - you'll need to purchase additional controllers, which are available in a variety of styles.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Nintendo Switch comes with everything you need to start enjoying your favorite Nintendo games, except for the games themselves. But seeing as you can buy Switch games at any game store, or download them in minutes from the Nintendo eShop, that's not a big issue.
However, there are now two versions of the Nintendo Switch: the original, and the Nintendo Switch Lite. The biggest difference between the two is that the original Switch can be played on your TV or in handheld mode, while the Lite can only be in handheld mode.
Both versions come in a variety of different colors, and there are also limited edition versions themed around specific games, like "Let's Go! Pikachu" and "Super Mario Odyssey." The limited edition consoles usually come with their game bundled in.
Each Switch system also comes with 32 GB of storage to start, which you can expand with microSD cards. Local multiplayer can be done for free, but you'll need to pay a monthly fee to play online.
Each version comes with its own equipment in the box, so here's an explainer for both.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
What the original Nintendo Switch comes with
The basic Nintendo Switch bundle comes with the console itself, which just consists of a giant screen. By attaching the small Joy-Con controllers to either side, you can play the Switch as a handheld console.
Reuters/Kim Kyung Hoon
The package also comes with the Switch dock - when you hook this dock up to a TV and place your Switch into it, you can play your switch on that TV. The dock also charges the Switch while it's connected to power.
The Switch technically comes with two Joy-Con controllers, a left and right controller, but they can only be used separately for a few games; most of the time, you'll use these controllers together, either connected to the console itself during handheld gaming, or connected to the included Joy-Con grip when your TV is the screen. They can also be used without the grip to take advantage of their motion control capabilities.
Neilson Barnard/Getty Images for Nintendo of America
The package also includes the two cords necessary for using the Switch, which are an HDMI cable to connect it to a TV, and an AC to USB-C charging cable for power. There are also two wrist straps that can be affixed to the Joy-Con controllers, which makes them slightly bigger, and also makes pressing the shoulder buttons easier.
What the Nintendo Switch Lite comes with
The Nintendo Switch Lite only comes with what you need to start playing.
Obviously, it comes with the Switch Lite itself, which is just a screen with two Joy-Con controllers hardwired in. You can't remove the Joy-Cons, but you can still connect other controllers to the system for local multiplayer games.
It also comes with the charging cable, an AC to USB-C cord.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Insider receives a commission when you buy through our links.
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes