White House Snubs Afghan Government Request To Apologize For 'Mistakes' During The War
National Security Advisor Susan Rice made the US position clear following suggestions from the Afghans that Obama write a letter acknowledging US errors and operations that caused civilian casualties in the 12-year conflict.
"There is not a need for the United States to apologize to Afghanistan. Quite the contrary," Rice told CNN.
Earlier Aimal Faizi, Afghan President Hamid Karzai's spokesman, said that Obama would write to his boss acknowledging US "mistakes in the war on terror" and the suffering of the Afghan people due to US military operations as part of Bilateral Security Agreement.
But Rice said "no such letter has been drafted or delivered. That is not on the table."
The security agreement could lead to a small group of US troops staying behind after the withdrawal of combat troops in 2014 to train Afghan forces and to mount anti-terror missions.
Faizi said President Karzai and Secretary of State John Kerry spoke by phone Tuesday during final negotiations for the security treaty.
Officials in Washington said there was still some way to go before reaching a final agreement on the pact, which will be put to an Afghan Grand Assembly of tribal chieftains and politicians, known as a "loya jirga" for approval.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons