Why Chipotle always tells you guacamole costs extra
"The guacamole is an extra charge, is that OK?"
Guacamole costs about $1.80 extra on items with meat or sofritas.
The repetition has led to t-shirts that say "I know the guacamole is extra." Facebook groups and thousands of tweets also echo the sentiment.
YES I KNOW GUACAMOLE IS EXTRA- Cassandra Gonzalez (@Dragonro0ls) July 9, 2014
We reached out to Chipotle to see why workers are trained to ask this question.
"We don't want customers to be surprised by the added cost, so we tell people whenever they ask for it," Chris Arnold, director of communications at Chipotle, said last year. "Not every restaurant charges extra for guac, so there may be customers who expect that we don't either."
You can also elect to get guacamole instead of a protein, Arnold said.
While the practice might seem repetitive to loyal customers of Chipotle, the burrito chain doesn't want to risk alienating customers or catching them off-guard.
If a customer complained about the extra charge at check-out, all the customers behind him would be delayed.
Customers who don't want to be asked the question could try wearing one of these shirts.
- Apple introduces new MacBook Air laptop with M3 chip
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease