Women activist groups are planning to use drones to deliver abortion drugs in Poland
Women on Waves
On Saturday, several international women's rights groups are planning to use the flying robots to drop abortion pills in Poland to raise awareness of the rigid reproductive laws in the country, according to a press release from Women on Waves, which is one of the organizations involved.
Women on Waves said they will fly what it calls an "abortion drone" from Frankfurt an der Oder, Germany to the border town of Slubice, Poland.
The drugs that will be dropped include mifepristone and misoprostol, which are both approved by the World Health Organization and can be used to induce a miscarriage for pregnancies of up to nine weeks.
Abortion is very restricted in Poland. Women can only obtain a legal procedure in very certain situations such as rape, incest or when a mother's health is severely threatened by going through with the pregnancy.
According to Women on Waves press release, flying the drone to Poland to deliver the drugs is legal, as it will only fly about one mile, allowing it to stay in view of the controller, will not fly in controlled airspace, weighs less than 5kg, and is not being used for commercial purposes.
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala