WWE fires Hulk Hogan
It comes after his profile page was abruptly removed from WWE.com and his merchandise was taken out of the online shop late Thursday night.
The WWE put a statement which implied it has to do with unspecified racist comments made by Hogan:
"WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan). WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide."
After references to Hogan were scrubbed from the WWE website, there was widespread speculation that it had to do with the imminent release of an audio recording on which Hogan reportedly makes racist comments.
RadarOnline, along with the tabloid the National Enquirer, reported on Friday that Hogan was caught "spewing foul-mouthed racial slurs - including the N-word" on an unauthroized sex tape.
Pro Wrestling Torch's Wade Keller notes that Hogan is also no longer listed as a judge for the show "Tough Enough."
Here's what Hogan's biography page looks like:
A cached version of the page from July 17 looked like this:
After his pages were taken down, Hogan put out this cryptic tweet:
In the storm I release control,God and his Universe will sail me where he wants me to be,one love. HH- Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan) July 24, 2015
There's widespread speculation that this is a preemptive move in anticipation of the release of an offensive audio recording. That rumor hasn't been confirmed. We've reached out to Hogan through his lawyer and marketing company for further details. We'll update this post when we hear back.
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder