YouTube's CEO praised Netflix for pushing the tech industry to be better for women
In a Vanity Fair op-ed this week, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki praised Netflix CEO Reed Hastings for making gender diversity a priority.
"Human Resources departments and diversity leads play a critical role, but they need the commitment and attention of the C.E.O. to succeed," she wrote.
"A great example of a C.E.O. taking this issue seriously is Reed Hastings of Netflix. In an effort to build a more flexible work culture, he took a strong stand on paid family leave. That policy led to a cascade effect, with companies like Microsoft and Amazon soon providing better family leave options, helping to limit the adverse effects that having children can have on a woman's career."
And it's good for the business as well. Wojcicki said that increasing family leave has helped Google retain female employees.
"When we increased paid maternity leave from 12 to 18 weeks, the rate at which new moms left dropped by 50 percent," she wrote.
A commitment to gender diversity isn't the only interesting piece of Netflix's work culture. Netflix is famous for not tolerating either failing employees or brilliant jerks, and it's culture was outlined in an iconic 2009 slide deck by CEO Reed Hastings. If you want to take a look at Reed Hastings' 2009 slide deck, scroll down:
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala