10 Incredible Pictures From Smithsonian Magazine's Annual Photo Contest
After sifting through more than 50,000 entries, Smithsonian Magazine has announced the 60 finalists for its 2014 Annual Photo Contest. The photos fall into six different categories: Natural World, Travel, People, Americana, Altered Images, and Mobile.
Voting is now open for the public to select the Readers' Choice winner, and will continue through May 6th. The winners will be announced May 15.
We selected 10 of our favorite images from the finalists, which came from 132 countries. See the full gallery at Smithsonian Magazine.
NATURAL WORLD: "Absolute Head Scratcher" is a photo of a blue macaw, taken in Quebec City, Canada.
The Smithsonian/Richard MastersNATURAL WORLD: Photographer Graham McGeorge spent 6 hours waiting to get the perfect image of this eastern screech owl out of its nest in Georgia.
The Smithsonian/Graham McGeorgeNATURAL WORLD: After finishing off a springbok, these two cheetah cubs began chasing each other for who got to hold onto the "prize," a piece of skin left over from the kill.
The Smithsonian/Seyms BruggerNATURAL WORLD: During their annual migration, wildebeests are forced to find new river crossings in the Serengeti-Mara region. In this picture, the currents were so strong that the animals had to struggle desperately to get to the other side.
The Smithsonian/Karen LunneyTRAVEL: This photographer caught Vietnam's famous terraced fields during harvest season.
The Smithsonian/Vo Anh KietTRAVEL: As part of a show called "Well of Death," this Bangladeshi biker performs a stunt at a fair to celebrate Rath Jatra, a Hindu festival.
The Smithsonian/Nidal Adnan KibriaPEOPLE: Mourners cover themselves in mud while beating their chests and standing around a fire during Ashura, a religious commemoration of the martyrdom of Husayn ibn Ali.
The Smithsonian/Soheil ZandazarPEOPLE: Photographer Candy Feng's son is dwarfed by the majesty of a glacier at Fjallsárlón.
The Smithsonian/Candy FengAMERICANA: Dust swirls around citizens of Black Rock City as they peek into the "Black Rock Bijou Theatre," an art installation at the 2013 Burning Man Festival.
The Smithsonian/Mark KaplanAMERICANA: A champion bronco bucks a champion rider at the Helmville Rodeo.
The Smithsonian/Carol Fowler
The Smithsonian/Richard Masters
The Smithsonian/Graham McGeorge
The Smithsonian/Seyms Brugger
The Smithsonian/Karen Lunney
The Smithsonian/Vo Anh Kiet
The Smithsonian/Nidal Adnan Kibria
The Smithsonian/Soheil Zandazar
The Smithsonian/Candy Feng
The Smithsonian/Mark Kaplan
The Smithsonian/Carol Fowler
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister