32 brilliant questions to ask at the end of every job interview
You should be assessing the employer just as much as they're assessing you, because you both need to walk away convinced that the job would be a great fit.
So when the tables are turned and the interviewer asks, "Do you have any questions for me?" take advantage of this opportunity. It's the best way to determine if you'd be happy working for this employer, and whether your goals are aligned with theirs.
"The very process of asking questions completely changes the dynamic of the interview and the hiring manager's perception of you," says Teri Hockett, chief executive of What's For Work?, a career site for women. "Asking questions also gives you the opportunity to discover details that you might not have otherwise unveiled."
Amy Hoover, president of TalentZoo, says there's another reason you should always prepare questions. "It's expected - and if you don't ask at least two questions, you will appear disinterested, or worse, less intelligent and engaged than a prospective employer would like."
You should have at least four questions prepared in case your original two are answered through the course of the interview.
But, Hoover says, don't just ask questions for the sake of it. To actually benefit from them, you'll need to think carefully about what you want to ask. And you'll want to avoid certain questions.
"Your questions can, in fact, make or break an interview," she explains. "If they're not thoughtful, or if you ask something that has already been addressed, this can hurt you way more than it can help. Asking smart, engaging questions is imperative."
Here are 31 smart questions to choose from - if they weren't already answered - to help you get a better sense of the role and the company, and to leave the interview with a positive, lasting impression:
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Fresh threats to Mukesh Ambani and family, Reliance Foundation hospital
- Will consider Kerala govt proposal for World Peace Conference: Nobel Peace Centre
- Seven dead, several others feared missing following flash floods in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district
- OPEC+ to cut oil output by 2 million bpd from November
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August