5 ways getting a promotion made my life harder that I never saw coming
- A promotion at work often brings status, power, and hopefully, a raise.
- But there are often downsides to promotions, including expectations to work longer hours.
- Here are five things that I didn't expect that came with a job promotion.
We often think that a promotion will bring more money, success, and status, but there are drawbacks to almost any promotion.
You may need to work longer hours. Issues that used to be someone else's problem are now yours. Managing people can be tough.
I once received a promotion where I'd manage a new department at a small company. The change brought lots of interesting challenges and boosted my self-esteem, but there were some very hard moments, too. Here are five ways that getting promoted made my life more difficult:
1. I had to go to bat for myself
2. I was working more overtime
3. I didn't get to make my own decisions
4. Coworkers undermined me
5. No one trained me for my new role
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role
- Victory of Modi's guarantees, say BJP leaders as party sweeps states states