7 mind-blowing facts about substitute teachers you never knew
- Many students may not have the opportunity to get to know their substitute teachers since they typically only come in for a day or two at a time.
- Substitute teachers tend to get calls the morning of the day they work and have only a few hours to prepare lesson plans.
- Some areas of the country are experiencing sub shortages, while others are overly reliant on long-term substitutes.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
As back-to-school season gets into full swing, substitute teachers will be gearing up for that early morning call into work.
While many students recall having subs cover for absent teachers, they don't usually have a chance to get to know their temporary instructor in the few days spent together.
Read more: 31 teachers across the US reveal their exact salary, and how much of it goes to paying for school supplies like chalk and pencils
Some may not know, for instance, that many states don't require substitute teachers to have schooling past a high school diploma in order to get certified. Or that some areas of the country are experiencing sub shortages, while others are overly reliant on long-term substitutes.
Here are seven facts you may not have known about what it's like to be a substitute teacher.
Are you a substitute teacher with a story to share? Email email@example.com.
Substitute teachers are paid $13.79 an hour.
Substitutes in Maryland earn the most out of any state overall, while those in Alabama earn the least.
Schools call subs early in the morning to ask them to step in for a teacher.
Substitute teachers are more likely to find work immediately following Spring Break and during the years when there is a shortage of flu vaccines.
Substitute teachers are not all required to have a bachelor's degree — despite the fact that full-time teachers need to have one.
The country is currently experiencing an overall shortage of substitute teachers.
On the flip side, some states are relying on long-term substitute teachers to replace full-time ones.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May