8 ways my life at 45 looks nothing like I expected
- Life changes will shift your perspective of personal and societal issues.
- Here, author Charyn Pfeuffer details eight ways her life has changed unexpectedly by age 45.
Like a lot of people, I was raised to think about life in a particular way. You go to college, land a steady 9-to-5 job, meet "The One," and then swap a promise and a piece of paper before getting down to raising a family.
Somewhere in there, you may adopt a pet, or take the next big step and buy a house. This typically happens between a man and woman, who once coupled, remain linked in almighty monogamous bliss until "death do us part." I never bought into this fairy tale, although the storyline was pushed throughout my childhood and 20s.
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine, though, that I'd have the life I have now at 45. I steered clear of societal norms or pressures, and my life continues to grow more abundant and fulfilling every single day.
Here are 8 ways my life looks entirely different than I ever imagined:
1. I didn't follow a typical career path
2. I haven't gotten married
3. I haven't had children, despite societal pressures
4. I created my own community
5. I'm comfortable in my own skin
6. I stopped caring about what other people think
7. I've embraced my sexuality
8. I've found love in nontraditional relationship models
- Rupee gains 10 paise to close at 82.28 against US dollar
- Sensex, Nifty50 log declines to close the week in red – IT, PSU banks and energy stocks drag
- Over 1.83 lakh Indians renounced their citizenship till October says external affairs ministry
- BharatPe files arbitration to claw back co-founder Ashneer Grover's unvested 1.4% shares
- Two Adani Group companies rule as the top all-round wealth creators – here are a few other unexpected entries