Pittsburgh plans to become the first US city to power itself with 100% renewable energy
But not all cities want to withdraw from the accord.
The city of Pittsburgh aims to transition to 100% renewable energy sources - like wind and solar - by 2035. On June 2, Mayor Bill Peduto said that he is joining a coalition that intends to uphold the Paris Agreement, called Mayors for 100% Clean Energy.
The coalition, an initiative of the Sierra Club's Ready for 100 Campaign, represents a growing number of US mayors who have endorsed a community-wide goal of switching completely to clean energy.
Thirty cities, three states, more than 80 university presidents, and more than 100 companies recently launched another group with similar goals. Organized by billionaire philanthropist and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, that coalition will submit a plan to the United Nations that commits to greenhouse-gas limits set in the Paris Agreement, according to The New York Times.
In Trump's speech announcing the planned withdrawal of the US from the Paris Agreement, the president said: "I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris."
On Twitter, Peduto responded, "As the Mayor of Pittsburgh, I can assure you that we will follow the guidelines of the Paris Agreement for our people, our economy & future."
"Donald Trump said he was elected by voters of Pittsburgh, but his misguided decision to withdraw from the Paris climate does not reflect the values of our city," Peduto said in a press release announcing the city's plan to go 100% renewable. "Pittsburgh will not only heed the guidelines of the Paris agreement, we will work to move towards 100 percent clean and renewable energy for our future, our economy, and our people."
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max vs M1: Here’s what Apple improved with its new custom chips
- Best gaming mouse for battle royale games in India
- Best tablets for professional use in India
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months