An asteroid discovered a week ago will be flying closest to earth tonight
- Asteroid 2019 QE1 was only spotted by astronomers on 22 August 2019.
- It’s approach tonight is the closest that the asteroid will come to Earth with future fly bys estimated to get further away.
- It will be 5 million kilometers from the planet and flying at a speed of 23,796 kilometers per hour.
AdvertisementAn asteroid dubbed 2019 QE1 will fly past the Earth tonight. But, astronomers only spotted it on 22 August 2019.
It will be the closest that asteroid 2019 QE 1 will come to the Earth — which is 5 million kilometers.
It’s next approach is scheduled for 14 August 2105, nearly a century later. By that time, it will be at least 32 million kilometers from Earth.
The event was flagged by the National Aeronautics and Space Agency’s (NASA) Asteroid Watch. However, it’s a fairly small asteroid with a diameter between 25 meters to 56 meters — more or less the size of an airplane. Yet, it has been defined as a ‘potentially hazardous asteroid’.
It will be speeding past the planet at a speed of 23,796 kilometers per hour, which is fairly reasonable speed for an asteroid.
If the space was a highway, asteroid 2019 QE1 would be well within the speed limit. Scientists believe it would take an asteroid the size of a house traveling at 48,000 kilometers an hour colliding with Earth to generate an impact equivalent to the Hiroshima nuclear bomb.
Popular on BI
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Toyota's president said he 'did a little happy dance' after the company dethroned GM to become the bestselling carmaker in the US last year
- PM Modi inaugurates India Mobile Congress, experiences 5G devices being showcased
- Jio will launch 5G for the entire country by December 2023: Mukesh Ambani
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- SEBI tightens disclosure norms for IPOs, brings mutual fund transactions under the gambit of insider trading rules
- Best camera phone under ₹15000