An astronomer in the Netherlands captured stunning video of 60 Starlink satellites zooming across the sky
- A Dutch astronomer captured video footage showing a string of roughly 60 Starlink satellites.
- The video shows the "train" of satellites speeding in a straight line as they orbit around the earth.
- The satellites were launched Thursday evening by SpaceX, Elon Musk's rocket company.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A stunning video shot by a Dutch astronomer captured a string of roughly 60 Starlink satellites zooming across the night sky, one day after they were launched into orbit.
The video shows the "train" of satellites speeding in a straight line as they orbit around the earth.
The astronomer, Marco Langbroek, wrote in a blog post that he had calculated the search orbit himself to find out when they would pass by, and "stood ready" with his camera. The train zoomed by within three minutes of his predicted time.
"It started with two faint, flashing objects moving into the field of view. Then, a few tens of seconds later, my jaw dropped as the 'train' entered the field of view," Langbroek wrote. "I could not help shouting 'OAAAAAH!!!!' (followed by a few expletives…)."
Read more: SpaceX just unleashed its first 60 Starlink high-speed-internet satellites and recorded a 'weird' video of the maneuver
The satellites were launched Thursday evening by SpaceX, Elon Musk's rocket company. The company's goal is to ultimately launch up to 12,000 of the telecommunications satellites, with the intent of forming a network that could provide internet access across the earth and move internet traffic nearly to the speed of light in a vacuum.
Dave Mosher contributed reporting.
- Read more:
- A SpaceX contractor risked disaster by forging safety inspectors' signatures for Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rocket parts, US prosecutors say
- 'Like trying to build the USA in the middle of the Atlantic': Elon Musk just dunked on Jeff Bezos' vision to build floating space colonies
- SpaceX is suing the US Air Force, accusing it of awarding $2.3 billion worth of contracts to firms with 'unbuilt, unflown' rocket systems
- Elon Musk has a 2027 deadline to surround Earth with high-speed Starlink internet satellites - but the service would work far sooner than that
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Meet the newest employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar