AOC's squad always has her back - and it shows the power of making friends at work
Saul Loeb/Getty Images
- Progressive congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar have been friends since taking office.
- Making friends at work, both in DC and beyond, has been linked to better work performance and increased job satisfaction.
- Minorities say having work friends leads to less burnout.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar aren't just making headlines with their progressive policy agenda and active social media platforms - they're also hanging out as friends.
Ocasio-Cortez posted a picture of the group on her Instagram in November with the caption "squad" to describe their friendship (a term Taylor Swift infamously used to describe her own group of pals, according to The New York Times.)
From Joe Biden and Barack Obama to George W. Bush and Condoleezza Rice, forming close friendships in DC is nothing new. Becoming friends with the people you work with can sometimes be inevitable, especially when Americans spend more and more time on the job.
Forging work bonds has been linked to greater productivity, better decision making, and increased happiness outside of the office. Yet, less Americans report making friends at work, due in part to job-hopping among millennials.
Here are six benefits to making friends at work, and lessons we can learn from "the squad's" companionship.
Workers who have friends say they're more productive and engaged.
There are even science-backed reasons why making friends at work can make you better at your job.
Having friends at work can have benefits even when you're not on the job, including links to better health and happiness.
If you're a minority in your workplace, making friends at work can help you feel less alone.
Close friendships with the opposite gender are sometimes referred to as 'work spouse' relationships, and having one can make you happier.
Making friends at work can even land you a promotion.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- No stay on investigation against Ashneer Grover and wife in BharatPe fraud case
- Kia India sales up 3% in May at 24,770 units
- Ather announces new e-scooter '450S' with 3 kWh battery pack
- India's manufacturing sector hits 31-month high growth in May
- Coal India OFS: Institutional buyers portion oversubscribed but stock falls