Billionaire Michael Bloomberg is launching a coalition to defy Trump and uphold the Paris Agreement
But 30 cities, three states, more than 80 university presidents, and over 100 companies say they will uphold the accord.
They are part of a growing group, called the United States Climate Alliance, organized by former New York City mayor and billionaire philanthropist Michael Bloomberg.
The coalition plans to submit a plan to the United Nations that commits to greenhouse gas emission limits set by Paris, according to The New York Times. It is negotiating with the UN to form its own National Determined Contribution (NDC) - a set of emissions standards for each participating nation under the Paris Agreement - that's accepted alongside the other 195 countries in the accord.
Founded in 2015, the Paris Agreement aims to curb climate change before the global average temperature levels reach a point that scientists say would have catastrophic and irreversible effects on the planet.
Bloomberg currently serves as the UN Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change. On June 2, Bloomberg Philanthropies, his charitable organization, also pledged to donate approximately $15 million over the next two years to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. Under Trump's budget, the UN stands to lose $2 billion in funding toward climate change action programs by leaving the Paris Agreement.
Besides the US, only two other countries - Nicaragua and Syria - are not a part of the Paris accord. After Trump announced the country's exit, he called the agreement "a massive redistribution of United States wealth to other countries."
The new coalition says it will do whatever it takes to maintain the US' role in the accord.
"Americans will honor and fulfill the Paris Agreement by leading from the bottom up - and there isn't anything Washington can do to stop us," Bloomberg said in a press release.
- WATCH: "Someone said I am good enough to be a rickshaw puller," shares Freshworks CEO Girish Mathrubootham in a candid chat
- Watch a raven take out a Google drone mid-air as the tech giant is forced to ground its home delivery service due to bird attacks
- Those who have held these stocks for a decade have only lost money
- MyGlamm has set aside $100 million to acquire 6 beauty and personal care brands under new entity
- After Moderna chief, Pfizer CEO says COVID-19 likely to end in a year
- Like many 23-year-olds, Google is facing ‘trust’ issues
- COVID-19: Mizoram's positivity rate at 32% after 1,659 new cases registered in the state
- IPL 2021: Mumbai Indians slips down to seventh spot after losing a match to RCB