Now, you can buy an electric two wheeler online – on Amazon
- Indian mobility startup
BattRE Electric Mobilityhas started selling its internet connected electric scooter BattRE IOT.
- The scooter will be available on
- This comes as a first move from an
e-commercegiant to sell two-wheelers online in India.
AdvertisementE-commerce giant Amazon is now selling electric two wheelers on its platform. Indian mobility startup BattRE Electric Mobility has started selling its internet connected electric scooter BattRE IOT.
“The government’s focus to encourage the adoption of
The BattRE IOT e-scooter is priced at ₹79,999.
This is the first time that the e-commerce giant is selling two-wheelers in India. Electric vehicle startups in India like Ather Energy, Tork Motors also sell their two-wheelers online and not via dealerships. Ather Energy has its own exclusive offline outlet in Bengaluru as well.
But the entry of an e-commerce giant like Amazon changes the game as it would expand the reach and size of the EV market. Currently, startups like Cars24, CarDekho and Droom sell used and new cars online.
Business Insider has sent questions to Amazon on whether the company would further sell more vehicles online, but it hasn’t responded yet. We will update with comments when they come in.
Globally, Amazon has a segment called Amazon Vehicles where it provides automotive research and offers comparisons between different vehicles.
Jeff Bezos says Amazon will invest a billion dollars to digitise India's small businesses
Popular on BI
- Electric bike-sharing platform Yulu Bikes raises $19.25 million
- Veteran singer Suresh Wadkar receives Lata Mangeshkar Award
- Former Lok Sabha speaker Manohar Joshi passes away at 86
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share