India's largest renewable energy producer is now a $4.5 billion company listed on Nasdaq
- ReNew Power, India’s largest
renewable energy company, got listed on the Nasdaq in the US on Tuesday.
- The company got listed through a special purpose acquisition company (
SPAC) route and hit $4.5 billion in market capitalisation.
- The renewable energy producer has merged with Nasdaq-listed RMG Acquisition Corp II for the listing.
ReNew Power is among the country’s leading solar and
“The listing opens much wider opportunities for us to help not only India, but the world to accelerate the clean energy transition for a fossil free tomorrow,” said Ajay Tripathi, chief human resource officer of the company on Twitter.
The company reportedly said that it is fully-funded at this point in time to get to 18.5 gigawatts of fully-owned capacity by 2025.
"We took the decision late last year and at that time SPAC seemed the best decision for us. It gives us access into a very deep and liquid pool of global investors -- both emerging markets as well as ESG investors -- which we think is very important for us to tap into and access for future and long-term growth in our sector," said Sumant Sinha, chairman and managing director of ReNew Power in a CNBC-TV18 interview. Sinha said the company is primarily focused on the Indian market at this time.
Reportedly, around $700 million of gross proceeds from the listing will accrue to the company, which will be used to set up new power production facilities.
AdvertisementReNew’s current commissioned capacity as of March 31, 2021 represents about 1.4% of India’s total installed capacity and avoids 0.5% of India’s carbon emissions annually.
SEE ALSO: Cut the price or wait a bit — what the market is telling IPO aspirants
WhatsApp is testing message reactions — you might soon be able to react to messages with heart, laugh, like and other emojis
Popular on BI
- Best floodlights for outdoors in India
- CCI approves HDFC Bank's acquisition of 4.99% stake in HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
- Best front lights for bicycles in India
- Best document scanners for office and home use in India
- BCCI announces two new IPL teams — Check out the owners of Lucknow and Ahmedabad franchises