India will have more ecommerce users by 2025 than US’ population
- India’s ecommerce user base is expected to reach half a billion by the end of this decade.
- In the next three years alone, this number is expected to eclipse the total population of the US.
- Of these, 7 out of 10 users are expected to complete at least one online transaction.
AdvertisementIndia is expected to have more ecommerce users by 2025 than the total population of the US, according to a new report. Further, 7 out of every 10 internet users are likely to complete an online transaction in the same period.
According to a report by WPP’s GroupM and Wunderman Thompson, in collaboration with Amazon Ads, the Indian ecommerce sector is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 23% to reach half a billion by the end of this decade.
Source: WPP’s GroupM and Wunderman Thompson report with Amazon Ads
A report by private wealth management company Bernstein also expects online shoppers in India to reach 330 million by 2025. “The TAM is expanding with new opportunities in social commerce/quick commerce. Flipkart is building Shopsy (social commerce), scaling Flipkart Quick (hyperlocal). Reliance acquiring Dunzo (Quick commerce) to scale JioMart,” the company added.
“We saw an exponential growth of consumers moving to online shopping during Covid-19. With the trend only continuing to grow as more customers are coming online to shop from Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities,” said Manoj Mansukhani, chief digital officer, Wunderman Thompson South Asia.
“With marketplaces like Amazon becoming the first port of call for product searches, brands need to develop a separate content strategy to help engage with customers on these platforms,” he added.
Vijay Iyer, Director-Ad Sales at Amazon Ads India, noted that ecommerce marketplaces are playing a crucial role in shaping brand and product discovery. “Marketers have the unique opportunity to build connections with customers through an immersive content experience rather than restricting themselves to “advertising real estate”, the report added.
According to a report by Bernstein, ecommerce is the largest segment in India internet and is expected to grow more than five-fold to reach $133 billion opportunity by 2025. “We believe the sector will not be a winner-take-all and multiple players will emerge across categories & markets,” the private wealth management company added.
PayTM could be entering a low cost-high profit margin regime, say a brokerage firm
YouTube channel to a billion dollar company — India’s first profitable edtech unicorn is here
TataNeu could be worth $15 billion all thanks to BigBasket, Croma and Westside
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report