TataNeu could be worth $15 billion all thanks to BigBasket, Croma and Westside
- TataNeu could be worth $15 billion as it is in position to clock $20 billion in sales by the end of this decade.
- JM Financial has based this prediction on the gross merchandise value (GMV) of key categories on the superapp.
- The company’s GMV currently stands roughly around ₹16,000 crore ($2 billion).
AdvertisementTata Digital’s superapp TataNeu — which brings all of its digital services and apps on a single platform — could be worth $15 billion, as per a report by Indian financial services group JM Financial.
This could be a natural transition for the steel-to-tech-to-auto conglomerate which also has various consumer interest businesses including retail stores like Westside, Croma, FMCG brands from tea to salt, and also owns the grocery delivery app, BigBasket.
“We believe there is a lot of value in the Tata ecosystem that Tata Digital can help unlock. Based on the gross merchandise value of key categories on Tata Neu, we believe the value of Tata Digital could be upwards of $15 bn,” it added.
‘An audacious endeavour’
In fact, the report compares it to the e-commerce pivot of US retail giant, Walmart — and can successfully leverage online and offline shopping experience — something even Amazon and Jio are trying to achieve. But, it comes with its own risks.
“While Tata is ticking all the right boxes in their digital shift, the mere enormity of this transition makes this an audacious endeavour. Drawing lessons from Walmart’s pivot to e-commerce, we believe Tata will need sustained investments in this space to succeed,” the report noted.
More services – travel to food and more
JM Financial has also not accorded any value to Tata Pay, its own UPI service and other categories in the TataNeu bubble such as food and travel. It expects the company’s valuation to evolve with addition of new products and services.
Tata Digital is yet to add existing brands like Vistara, Air India, Tanishq, Titan and others to the super app.
“One thing is certain though. If executed well, there is a lot of value within the Tata group which Tata Digital can help unlock,” the report noted.
A 10x growth in gross merchandise value
If all works fine, JM Financial believes that TataNeu’s GMV could increase to ₹1.54 lakh crore (approximately $20 billion, at current conversion rate) by the end of this decade. The company based this prediction on the gross merchandise value (GMV) of key categories on the superapp.
Its GMV — total value of merchandise sold over a given period of time — currently stands roughly around ₹16,000 crore ($2 billion).
Source: VCCEdge, JM Financial Estimates
|BigBasket||₹6,558 crore||₹97,676 crore|
|1mg||₹309 crore||₹4,607 crore|
|Curefit||₹161 crore||₹2,404 crore|
|Croma||₹5,315 crore||₹27,424 crore|
|Tata CLIQ||₹356 crore||₹5,310 crore|
|Westside||₹1,940 crore||₹6,826 crore|
|Caratlane||₹1,265 crore||₹9,808 crore|
|Total||₹15,906 crore ($2 billion)||₹1,54,056 crore ($19.8 billion)|
Note: ‘E’ in FY2022E stands for estimates.
Good competitive advantage
AdvertisementJM Financial highlighted that it is difficult to accurately ascribe value to TataNeu due to lack of granular data around the number of users and GMV as it is early days of the app's launch. However, it emphasized that the valuation of the company should be akin to valuing an e-commerce company.
TataNeu, which rolled out a little over eight months ago, was only open for 800,000 Tata Group employees and their friends and family till its formal launch in April. The superapp began with a cumulative consumer base of 120 million users and 2,500 offline stores, along with an 80 million app footprint across its digital assets.
JM Financial believes that TataNeu is well placed to take market share away from its existing competitors like Flipkart, Amazon, Reliance Retail/JioMart.
“Tata’s leadership in the fast-growing e-grocery segment (through Big Basket) and compelling omnichannel offerings in two of the largest ecommerce categories – lifestyle and consumer electronics – position it well to take market share away from the incumbents,” JM Financial said.
Maruti Suzuki, Adani Enterprises, Metropolis, IDBI Bank among stocks to watch out for on June 7
FlexiLoans.com bags $90 million to cover six years’ of journey in one year
AdvertisementIndian corporates made a full comeback with $111 billion profits, but the same can’t be said for 2023
Popular on BI
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Elon Musk reportedly left OpenAI's board in 2018 after Sam Altman and other cofounders rejected his plan to run the company
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals and kitchen appliance maker Butterfly announce merger
- ICMR comes up with first ethical guidelines for application of AI in biomedical research, healthcare
- Measures taken by IIFCL to keep bad loans under check: Parliamentary panel
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock