Amazon enters the content distribution space in India, will allow customers to subscribe to more video streaming platforms
- India is the 12th country where Amazon has launched its Prime Video Channels.
- The platform allows customers to add on more subscriptions to their existing picks.
- It has partnered with 8 platforms for India, which will add 10,000 screens on Amazon Prime videos.
Prime Video Channels enables Prime members to subscribe to over-the-top (OTT) services as an add on to their existing subscription and stream the content on the Amazon Prime Video app/website in India.
Prime members are people who subscribe to Amazon Prime services.
AdvertisementThe platform was launched for the first time about five years ago and India is the twelfth country where this service has been launched, Chaitanya Divan, Business Head at Amazon Prime Video Channels India, told Business Insider. It has over 350 platforms globally, he added.
The company has partnered with eight OTT platforms — discovery+, Lionsgate Play, Docubay, Eros Now, MUBI, hoichoi, Manorama Max, and Shorts TV — for the Indian launch and more platforms will be added along the way. These eight partners will add over 10,000 videos/screens to Amazon’s platform.
Prime customers can buy an annual subscription to the channels of their choice.
|Channel||Annual subscription pack on Amazon|
These add on subscriptions will provide more options for their customers to choose from, Divan added. The company aims to make this into a one-stop-shop for all content related subscriptions, so the customers don’t have to juggle between multiple username, passwords and billing due dates.
“We are launching with annual packs and a lot of our partners are offering special launch offers as well. So that, at launch customers can subscribe at slightly lower prices. And that's essentially the key benefit for customers here — the ability to choose which services they want to watch and not be forced to pay for an entire group of services, some of which they may not want,” Divan added.
Prime members will be able to watch subscribed Prime Video Channels on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, Apple TV, etc.
Notably, Amazon Prime subscription costs ₹123 per month or ₹999 for a year. It offers an array of services including faster and free of charge delivery on Amazon ecommerce platform, access to audio streaming platform Amazon Music and more.
AdvertisementTCS, Infosys and Wipro take a lot of heart from Accenture's blockbuster earnings
Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
Airtel rights issue worth ₹21,000 crore opens next month – record date, price, ratio and everything else you need to know
Popular on BI
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- IPL teams are reportedly launching fan tokens, which will give followers a bigger say in club decisions
- Google now wants to teach you a new word daily with this new feature
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 review – foldable phones are ready for the mainstream
- COVID-19 pandemic killed 80,000-180,000 health workers till May 2021, says WHO
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: How a Pink Ribbon sparked a worldwide campaign