Disney's first job cut round begins this week, 7,000 employees to be hit: CEO
The job cuts will reportedly affect Disney's media and distribution segment along with ESPN and the parks and resorts division, according to CNBC.
"This week, we begin notifying employees whose positions are impacted by the company's workforce reductions," Iger wrote in the memo.
"A second, larger round of notifications will happen in April with several thousand more staff reductions, and we expect to commence the final round of notifications before the beginning of the summer to reach our 7,000-job target," he added.
In February, Iger had announced to lay off 7,000 employees as Disney looks to save billions of dollars by restructuring the company, cutting content, and trimming payroll.
"For our employees who aren't impacted, I want to acknowledge that there will no doubt be challenges ahead as we continue building the structures and functions that will enable us to be successful moving forward. I ask for your continued understanding and collaboration during this time," Iger elaborated in his memo.
Disney expects to deliver approximately $3 billion in savings over the next few years, excluding sports.
Warner Bros. Discovery and other legacy media firms have also reduced several thousand jobs to cut costs.
"We have made the difficult decision to reduce our overall workforce by approximately 7,000 jobs as part of a strategic realignment of the company, including important cost-saving measures necessary for creating a more effective, coordinated and streamlined approach to our business," Iger wrote.
AdvertisementHow to check TDS, dividend income, and income tax refund using the AIS for Taxpayers app
You will soon lose your legacy blue tick on Twitter – here’s everything you need to know
Three out of four premium smartphones sold in 2022 were an iPhone
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May