Airbnb will select one startup a year to fund with ‘no strings attached’— founder Brian Chesky dedicates initiative to the company’s earliest investor Ron Conway
- Through the award, Chesky and Conway will select one Y Combinator startup that “is working to create more economic empowerment opportunities for people across the world.”
- The startup will be funded by
Airbnbwith “no strings attached” and also receive personal mentoring from Conway and Chesky.
- The announcement from Chesky came at a time when Airbnb’s IPO has been a massive hit and the company’s valuation surged past $100 billion during the debut.
Through the award, Chesky and Conway will select one Y Combinator startup that “is working to create more economic empowerment opportunities for people across the world.” That startup will then be funded by Airbnb with “no strings attached” and also receive personal mentoring from Conway and Chesky.
The announcement from Chesky came at a time when Airbnb’s IPO has been a massive hit and the company’s valuation surged past $100 billion during the debut. Chesky shared a blog on how it was the support of angel investors like Conway that made it possible for him to build Airbnb.
“Ron and I also share a desire to inspire more entrepreneurs to create companies that offer economic opportunities for more people and a commitment to making the tech industry more diverse and inclusive. In the years to come, I plan to take a number of significant steps to help achieve these goals,” wrote Chesky.
Chesky’s story with Conway and the initiative to support budding startups was also appreciated by the biggest entrepreneurs from around the world.
I've known and learned from @RonConway for more than 40 years. I'm glad to see @svangel team up with @bchesky to me… https://t.co/L501h9Nt6X— Bill Gates (@BillGates) 1608346115000
There is no doubt that @RonConway is one of the great contributors to entrepreneurship. Thank you @bchesky for lett… https://t.co/44zCxQlcwz— Ben Horowitz (@bhorowitz) 1608315326000
Meanwhile, Indian entrepreneur Kunal Bahl, co-founder of Snapdeal, who also runs his own venture fund Titan Capital, said that “India needs its own Ron Conways, & without doubt India will have them!”
Every successful story has an early believer like @RonConway. It's amazing how an angel/seed investor's contributio… https://t.co/LtD1gVWvoq— Kunal Bahl (@1kunalbahl) 1608531574000
The founder of SUGAR cosmetics explains how the startup clocked a 60% growth in sales during the pandemic
Pine Labs' valuation crosses $2 billion as it raises fresh funds from Lone Pine Capital
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal