Airbnb will select one startup a year to fund with ‘no strings attached’— founder Brian Chesky dedicates initiative to the company’s earliest investor Ron Conway
- Through the award, Chesky and Conway will select one Y Combinator startup that “is working to create more economic empowerment opportunities for people across the world.”
- The startup will be funded by
Airbnbwith “no strings attached” and also receive personal mentoring from Conway and Chesky.
- The announcement from Chesky came at a time when Airbnb’s IPO has been a massive hit and the company’s valuation surged past $100 billion during the debut.
AdvertisementAirbnb CEO and founder
Through the award, Chesky and Conway will select one Y Combinator startup that “is working to create more economic empowerment opportunities for people across the world.” That startup will then be funded by Airbnb with “no strings attached” and also receive personal mentoring from Conway and Chesky.
The announcement from Chesky came at a time when Airbnb’s IPO has been a massive hit and the company’s valuation surged past $100 billion during the debut. Chesky shared a blog on how it was the support of angel investors like Conway that made it possible for him to build Airbnb.
“Ron and I also share a desire to inspire more entrepreneurs to create companies that offer economic opportunities for more people and a commitment to making the tech industry more diverse and inclusive. In the years to come, I plan to take a number of significant steps to help achieve these goals,” wrote Chesky.
Chesky’s story with Conway and the initiative to support budding startups was also appreciated by the biggest entrepreneurs from around the world.
I've known and learned from @RonConway for more than 40 years. I'm glad to see @svangel team up with @bchesky to me… https://t.co/L501h9Nt6X— Bill Gates (@BillGates) 1608346115000
There is no doubt that @RonConway is one of the great contributors to entrepreneurship. Thank you @bchesky for lett… https://t.co/44zCxQlcwz— Ben Horowitz (@bhorowitz) 1608315326000
Meanwhile, Indian entrepreneur Kunal Bahl, co-founder of Snapdeal, who also runs his own venture fund Titan Capital, said that “India needs its own Ron Conways, & without doubt India will have them!”
Every successful story has an early believer like @RonConway. It's amazing how an angel/seed investor's contributio… https://t.co/LtD1gVWvoq— Kunal Bahl (@1kunalbahl) 1608531574000
The founder of SUGAR cosmetics explains how the startup clocked a 60% growth in sales during the pandemic
Pine Labs' valuation crosses $2 billion as it raises fresh funds from Lone Pine Capital
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May