BigBasket sues a bootstrapped startup for using the word basket in its name – startup calls the billion dollar company a bully
- Founder of
Daily BasketRamesh Vel has launched a website – “bbisabully”, calling out the billion dollar startup.
- Vel wrote on the website that
BigBasketis fighting with a mere two person startup and said that it doesn’t have the ‘mighty power & money’ BigBasket has.
- BigBasket sent Daily Basket a cease and desist letter, asking the smaller company to take down its mobile app, stop all operations and also ‘pay their legal team ₹2 lakh’ amongst other things.
Vel wrote through the website that BigBasket is fighting with a mere two person startup and said that it doesn’t have the ‘mighty power & money’ BigBasket has.
“We are a tiny bootstrapped company currently only serving in Coimbatore and about to open our first physical location. But we will show the truth in public to everyone to see what bigbasket has become. And how a big billion dollar company sees an upcomer as a competition and trying to eliminate us with corporate bullying,” he wrote.
BigBasket sent Daily Basket a cease and desist letter, asking the smaller company to take down its mobile app, stop all operations and also ‘pay their legal team ₹2 lakh to cover the legal notice’. BigBasket has also accused the six-month old startup for having copied its app and web interface.
BigBasket runs a separate vertical called BBDaily for online milk delivery.
The letter from BigBasket comes at a time when Tata Group is also in talks with the grocery unicorn for a 68% stake for $1.3 billion.
AdvertisementInterestingly, BigBasket or Daily Basket aren’t the only ones in grocery with the word ‘basket’ in them. Other companies like MilkBasket, Nature’s Basket also exist in the retail space. MilkBasket is reportedly in talks to be acquired by retail giant Reliance Retail.
Discounts have dropped lower on the customer’s priority list, say Indian e-tailers
One in every five rupees lent by SBI to individuals, goes to government employees
Popular on BI
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- After 10-minute grocery delivery, a 15-minute ambulance service grabs investor interest
- Fortune oil maker Adani Wilmar is looking to acquire southern players in edible oil, FMCG industry
- India pays USD 29.9 million in UN regular budget assessments for 2022
- Budget Session Part I: Rajya Sabha to sit in morning, Lok Sabha in evening due to Covid restrictions
- Best 65-inch smart LED TV in India
- Budget Session Part I: Different timings for Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha in view of Covid
- Smriti Mandhana named ‘ICC Women’s Cricketer 2021’; Here’s a look at her achievements so far