BigBasket sues a bootstrapped startup for using the word basket in its name – startup calls the billion dollar company a bully
- Founder of
Daily BasketRamesh Vel has launched a website – “bbisabully”, calling out the billion dollar startup.
- Vel wrote on the website that
BigBasketis fighting with a mere two person startup and said that it doesn’t have the ‘mighty power & money’ BigBasket has.
- BigBasket sent Daily Basket a cease and desist letter, asking the smaller company to take down its mobile app, stop all operations and also ‘pay their legal team ₹2 lakh’ amongst other things.
Vel wrote through the website that BigBasket is fighting with a mere two person startup and said that it doesn’t have the ‘mighty power & money’ BigBasket has.
“We are a tiny bootstrapped company currently only serving in Coimbatore and about to open our first physical location. But we will show the truth in public to everyone to see what bigbasket has become. And how a big billion dollar company sees an upcomer as a competition and trying to eliminate us with corporate bullying,” he wrote.
BigBasket sent Daily Basket a cease and desist letter, asking the smaller company to take down its mobile app, stop all operations and also ‘pay their legal team ₹2 lakh to cover the legal notice’. BigBasket has also accused the six-month old startup for having copied its app and web interface.
BigBasket runs a separate vertical called BBDaily for online milk delivery.
The letter from BigBasket comes at a time when Tata Group is also in talks with the grocery unicorn for a 68% stake for $1.3 billion.
AdvertisementInterestingly, BigBasket or Daily Basket aren’t the only ones in grocery with the word ‘basket’ in them. Other companies like MilkBasket, Nature’s Basket also exist in the retail space. MilkBasket is reportedly in talks to be acquired by retail giant Reliance Retail.
Discounts have dropped lower on the customer’s priority list, say Indian e-tailers
One in every five rupees lent by SBI to individuals, goes to government employees
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down