DailyHunt's Josh raises $100 million from Qatar Investment Authority and others – just two months after Google and Microsoft made it a unicorn
- VerSe Innovation has raised $100 million from Qatar Investment Authority, the sovereign fund of Qatar.
- The investment has come through for DailyHunt’s take on TikTok, a short video platform, Josh.
- Josh had also recently signed a licensing agreement with Saregama, one of India’s oldest music labels.
The latest investment comes in just two months after VerSe Innovation became a unicorn in December 2020 after Google and Microsoft pumped in $100 million into the company. It is also backed by Goldman Sachs, Lupa Systems, Matrix Partners India, Sequoia Capital India, Falcon Edge Capital and Omidyar Network, among others.
The investment has come through for DailyHunt’s take on TikTok – the short video platform Josh. The news aggregator platform had launched Josh after the ban on TikTok in India, in 12 local Indian languages to capture the “Bharat” users, the term used for the next 200 million internet users in India.
AdvertisementJosh in numbers
|Monthly Active Users||Daily Active Users||Video plays per day|
|85 million||40 million||1.5 billion|
“This will include the augmentation of local language content offerings, the development of its content creator ecosystem, innovation in AI and ML and more importantly, creation of opportunity for India’s vast talent pool,” said the company about how the latest fundraise will be used.
Josh had also recently signed a licensing agreement with Saregama, one of India’s oldest music labels.
IndiaMart employees hit gold— founder reveals that 15% of the multi-bagger stock is with 600 people who are, or have been, part of the team
The India stack that Bill Gates and Sundar Pichai so love is set to get much bigger – thanks to the Indian government’s new blockchain strategy
This could be the next OnePlus flagship smartphone
Apple's talks with Hyundai and Kia for autonomous cars may have crashed early
Popular on BI
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best portable room heaters in India
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks