This Indian startup gains as students from Tier 2 and 3 cities opt for online digital courses
- According to
upGrad, online learning platform for working professionals, data literacyis one of the key skills in the digital space.
- Data Science, Blockchain, Full Stack Development, Digital Marketing and Machine Learning are the most sought after courses among professionals, Mayank Kumar, Founder & MD of upGrad told Business Insider India in an interview.
- Almost half the learners on upGrad — over 350,000 — come from tier 2 and tier 3 cities.
India is the second largest e-learning market with as many as 70 million learners. The user base of the online education industry is expected to hit 9.6 million by 2021, which was 1.6 million in 2016, as per a KPMG report.
According to upGrad, data literacy is a popular buzzword in the job market. Those who are seeking to enhance their digital skills are enrolling in technology and data science courses. Others include entrepreneurial skills and hobbies.
“However data science, blockchain, full stack development, digital marketing and machine learning are the most sought after courses among professionals. And the completion rate for such courses is as high as 85%,” Mayank Kumar, Founder & MD of upGrad told Business Insider India.
UpGrad is now planning to expand its services to first-time job seekers and college students. It also collaborated with premier Indian and foreign institutions including IIT Madras, MICA and University of Cambridge.
Companies spend up to Rs 1.5 lakh per fresher for hiring and training. Online upskilling programmes claim to reduce it by almost 60%. “We are now moving towards courses on software development as well like Android, Python, Java and IoT. We have a course on insurance sales for our job guarantee programme,” Kumar added.
upGrad claims to provide a human touch unlike other platforms.The startup focuses on customising the learning experience through personalised feedback from dedicated mentors. In addition to this, the platform provides an industry connect for professionals who want to transition from their existing job roles.
Learn these 4 skills to become a top notch digital marketing expert
Indian students prefer online coaching to offline classes
AdvertisementCoursera launches campus product to integrate online learning with university lessons
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister