Airtel wants to increase data prices to ₹100 per GB, founder Sunil Mittal asks subscribers to ‘prepare to pay a lot more’
- Airtel’s Sunil Bharti Mittal has hinted that tariff hikes are coming soon, asking subscribers to ‘prepare to pay a lot more’.
- He revealed that instead of 16GB data for ₹160, subscribers should get just 1.6GB data, hinting at a price of ₹100 per GB.
- At a minimum, Mittal stated that he wants to increase average revenue per user (ARPU) by at least 27%, but said a 60% increase would be ‘ideal’.
“You either consume 1.6GB of capacity per month either at this price point (₹160) or you may prepare to pay a lot more. We are not wanting $50-60 like the US or Europe but certainly $2 for 16 GB per month is not sustainable,” said Sunil Mittal at the launch of a book written by his colleague at Bharti Enterprises, Akhil Gupta.
Mittal referred to offering 16GB data at ₹160 as a tragedy, further adding that users should get 1.6GB data at this price or just pay a lot more. This translates to prices of 1GB data at ₹100, instead of ₹10 right now.
He was further quoted by the PTI report as saying that at the lower end, Airtel subscribers would have to pay at least ₹100 per month. Currently, the base Airtel plan costs ₹45 per month, so Mittal is talking about a more than 100% increase in its base tariffs.
Airtel eyes an ARPU increase of nearly 60% in the next six months
Reiterating that a tariff hike is certain, he further added, “In six months’ time we should be crossing the mark of Rs 200 for sure and Rs 250 would be ideal.”
What do Airtel’s current plans look like?
Airtel currently offers plans starting at ₹45 and the prices go all the way up to ₹2,698 which offers annual validity.
Here’s a look at some of the most popular Airtel plans along with their benefits:
|₹45||28 days||Incoming + outgoing validity|
|₹149||28 days||2GB data, unlimited calls|
|₹219||28 days||1GB/day data, unlimited calls|
|₹298||28 days||2GB/day data, unlimited calls|
|₹399||56 days||1.5GB/day data, unlimited calls|
|₹598||84 days||1.5GB/day data, unlimited calls|
|₹2,498||365 days||2GB/day data, unlimited calls|
|₹2,698||365 days||2GB/day data, unlimited calls, Disney+ Hotstar VIP|
Airtel subscribers express their disappointment
@BiIndia @jainrounak @airtelindia U can collect more money when u provide better service I am paying 1500 every mon… https://t.co/nWX6kTsDHt— bala (@balaji394) 1598427605000
@BiIndia @jainrounak @airtelindia @Airtel_Presence increase the price but provide full coverage and dedicated speed… https://t.co/RGTCQBCH79— Subhasis (@subhasisparida) 1598421209000
A few others also said that they are ready to port their number out of Airtel.
@BiIndia @jainrounak @airtelindia Ready to port my number @airtelindia— Sourabh Choubey (@Sourabh25856291) 1598422912000
@BiIndia @jainrounak @airtelindia My plan is expiring in next monthAfter reading this me to airtel- https://t.co/8ozUhQNlcd— sarcastic Nibba (@sarcasticNibba4) 1598429226000
Airtel stock is getting knocked down as investors fear it may have to pay Videocon's dues
Airtel-Amazon team up to take on Jio-Microsoft in the battle for India’s cloud market
Airtel logs $2 billion loss as it sets aside money for regulatory dues
- India’s most valued bootstrapped companies in 2021 — World’s biggest COVID-19 vaccine maker rules the roost
- Amazon outage causes seven hour disruption at crypto exchanges, raises questions on 'decentralisation'
- Global cellular IoT module shipments reportedly grow 70% in third quarter
- Samsung Galaxy S22 to reportedly cost the same as Galaxy S21
- Farmers finally end their one-year long protest, will vacate the Delhi borders on Saturday