Vodafone Idea shares up by 10% as it adds subscribers for the first time in 15 months – Airtel, Reliance Jio expand their user base
Vodafone Ideahas broken its 15-month long streak of losing subscribers by adding 0.7 million subscribers in February 2021.
- Shares of the company were up by over 10% as the market reacted positively to the news.
- In the previous 15 months, Vodafone Idea lost over 50 million subscribers, while its rivals
Airteland Reliance Jioadded over 66 million amongst themselves.
AdvertisementShares of telecom player Vodafone Idea were up by nearly 10% as the beleaguered telecom provider ended its 15-month long streak of losing subscribers. In this time frame, it has lost over 50 million subscribers, while Airtel and Reliance added over 66 million subscribers amongst themselves.
Vodafone Idea’s share price hit a day’s high of 13%. At 11:00 am, it was up by over 11%, trading at ₹9 per share.
According to the telecom subscriber data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (
In comparison to the steep increase in Vodafone Idea’s share price, Airtel’s shares were down by nearly 1%. Jio’s parent company Reliance Industries was also down by nearly 1%.
Reliance Jio’s active subscriber problem continues to worsen
Even though Reliance Jio has the largest subscriber base, it continues to be haunted by a poor rate of active subscribers – its rate of 78% of active subscribers is only better than state-run telcos BSNL and MTNL.
With the context of active subscribers added in, Vodafone Idea’s numbers aren’t as bad as it is often portrayed to be.
On the other hand, Airtel continues to march ahead of Reliance Jio in this regard, improving its tally despite adding slightly lower number of subscribers in February.
Airtel shines as price hikes, healthy subscriber growth and Jio’s disappointing performance send the stock rallying
Mittal vs Ambani battle heats up as Airtel beats Reliance Jio to become the top telco in the country
Best broadband plans in India in 2021 – JioFiber, Airtel Xstream Fiber and ACT Fibernet
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Google is rolling out a new viewer mode in Meet: Here's how to use it
- India vs Australia WTC Final – Squads, head-to-head, where to watch and more
- May auto sales rise 10% but still below pre-Covid level with challenges in store
- Linda Yaccarino to take over as new Twitter CEO on Monday, hires key aide
- Sensex, Nifty50 rise in morning trade driven by auto and banking stocks