Vodafone Idea shares up by 10% as it adds subscribers for the first time in 15 months – Airtel, Reliance Jio expand their user base
Vodafone Ideahas broken its 15-month long streak of losing subscribers by adding 0.7 million subscribers in February 2021.
- Shares of the company were up by over 10% as the market reacted positively to the news.
- In the previous 15 months, Vodafone Idea lost over 50 million subscribers, while its rivals
Airteland Reliance Jioadded over 66 million amongst themselves.
Vodafone Idea’s share price hit a day’s high of 13%. At 11:00 am, it was up by over 11%, trading at ₹9 per share.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
According to the telecom subscriber data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (
AdvertisementIn comparison to the steep increase in Vodafone Idea’s share price, Airtel’s shares were down by nearly 1%. Jio’s parent company Reliance Industries was also down by nearly 1%.
Reliance Jio’s active subscriber problem continues to worsen
Even though Reliance Jio has the largest subscriber base, it continues to be haunted by a poor rate of active subscribers – its rate of 78% of active subscribers is only better than state-run telcos BSNL and MTNL.
With the context of active subscribers added in, Vodafone Idea’s numbers aren’t as bad as it is often portrayed to be.
On the other hand, Airtel continues to march ahead of Reliance Jio in this regard, improving its tally despite adding slightly lower number of subscribers in February.
Airtel shines as price hikes, healthy subscriber growth and Jio’s disappointing performance send the stock rallying
Mittal vs Ambani battle heats up as Airtel beats Reliance Jio to become the top telco in the country
Best broadband plans in India in 2021 – JioFiber, Airtel Xstream Fiber and ACT Fibernet
- Long-lasting laptops with durable build quality
- Sensex has hit a new record but it's not clear if it will trek higher
- The rise in global crude oil prices may make India's April-June exports data look really good
- Baba Ramdev and Patanjali-owned Ruchi Soya wants to raise money from the market again
- Best office chairs for working from home