Yes Bank, SBI and others want Vodafone Idea to be saved, here’s why
- Vodafone Idea’s shareholders saw their wealth go up by 10% today.
- In September alone, the telco’s share price surged by over 43%.
- The reason behind the latest uptick could be the fact that banks want the government to provide relief to Vodafone Ideas.
According to a Reuters report, the state-run State Bank of India led the banks, calling on the Indian government to give additional time to Vodafone Idea to clear the adjusted gross revenue (AGR) and spectrum dues, amounting to over ₹58,000 crore.
Shares of Vodafone Idea were hovering around ₹8.75 per share, up by more than 10% over the previous closing price.
In September alone, Vodafone Idea’s shares have jumped by more than 43% - this is over just 9 trading days.
What are the banks saying?
According to the report, banks want the government to ease pressure on Vodafone Idea, and offer timely relief to the struggling telco.
“All eyes are on New Delhi right now as banks are getting increasingly nervous,” the report said, quoting an unnamed banking official.
Here’s how much Vodafone Idea and Airtel owe the government in the form of AGR dues:
|Company||Total AGR demand (in crore)||AGR dues paid (in crore)||Balance AGR dues (in crore)|
AdvertisementSource: AGR dues case in the Supreme Court
Vodafone Idea also pays approximately ₹5,000 crore per year towards licence fee and spectrum usage charges. Additionally, according to a report by The Economic Times, the telco will have to pay ₹14,000 crore annually towards spectrum payments, taking its annual liability to ₹19,000 crore.
Vodafone Idea’s debt currently stands at ₹1.9 lakh crore, according to the company’s June quarter report.
AdvertisementWhile banks and financial institutions which have lent money to the telco don’t face any immediate threat of default, things may not remain the same for long.
Banks’ exposure to Vodafone Idea:
|Bank||Amount||% of loan book|
|IDFC First Bank||₹3,240 crore||2.90%|
|Yes Bank||₹4,000 crore||2.40%|
|IndusInd Bank||₹3,500 crore||1.65%|
|Punjab National Bank||₹3,000 crore||0.44%|
|State Bank of India||₹11,000 crore||0.43%|
|ICICI Bank||₹1,700 crore||0.23%|
|Axis Bank||₹1,300 crore||0.21%|
|HDFC Bank||₹1,000 crore||0.09%|
Vodafone Idea falls after reports that government hasn’t discussed proposal for a telecom relief package
Market hopes Vodafone Idea will be saved and these are the rescue options
What if Vodafone Idea dies?
Popular on BI
- Influencer marketing will be INR 900cr market in India by the end of 2021: Report
- Smaller crypto exchanges in South Korea will be closing their doors in the next 24 hours
- Powered by Unacademy and upGrad’s mega deals, Indian startups raised $10.8 billion in the last two months
- TVS Eurogrip denies speculation over signing a Rs 23 crore sponsorship deal with Chennai Super Kings
- Crypto market in the red as Solana remains the most heavily hit