Bill Gates says most virtual meetings will move to the metaverse within 3 years, and workers will interact using VR headsets and avatars
Bill Gatessaid that virtual meetingscould move to the metaversein two to three years.
- Workers will use VR headsets and motion-capture gloves to interact with colleagues, Gates said.
Video meetings could look very different in the near future, according to
In an annual blog post published on December 7, Gates said that he predicts most virtual meetings could move from "2D camera image grids" to the metaverse within two to three years. He said it would be a 3D space with digital avatars.
"The idea is that you will eventually use your avatar to meet with people in a virtual space that replicates the feeling of being in an actual room with them," Gates wrote.
Although the term "metaverse" is still quite vague, it's seen by many as the next stage of digital communication. Some, like Gates, said it could resemble a form of cyberspace, in which users interact through 3D avatars. Others say it's simply a concept.
The word was coined by author Neal Stephenson in his book Snow Crash, but both
Gates said that the pandemic has accelerated technological changes that otherwise would have taken years. Under his vision, Gates said VR goggles and motion capture gloves would be needed to accurately capture a user's body language, voice, and facial expressions while in the metaverse.
This could slow the adoption because many people don't own these tools yet, he said.
Gates wrote that Microsoft plans to roll out an interim version next year, which will use a webcam to animate an avatar for workers to use in current 2D web screens.
He also revealed that he had the opportunity to test prototypes of 3D avatars being developed by other companies.
"There's still some
Gates often uses his annual blog post to reflect on the past year and offers predictions for the future.
However, he is optimistic that the "acute phase" of the Covid-19 pandemic will be over by 2022.
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- 1,330 recognised startups from gaming and related sectors as on Nov 30: Som Parkash
- Sula Vineyards to open IPO next week from Dec 12-14; GMP already at ₹70 per share
- India to add 9 million gig jobs by 2025 says Indeed report
- From Brahmastra to KGF: The most searched movies on Google in 2022 in India
- Adjusted for inflation, policy rate still remains accommodative, says RBI Governor