Gary Vaynerchuk and 9 other successful leaders on how to respond when employees royally mess up
Reacting appropriately when your employees make mistakes is an important leadership skill.
- The Oracles is a networking group of the world's most prominent entrepreneurs and CEOs.
- As a leader, it can be difficult to know how to react when your employees inevitably make mistakes that negatively affect the company.
- Depending on the circumstances, you should consider not only the mistake, but why the employee made it - did they act carelessly, or were they honestly trying their best?
- It's important to be compassionate and empower your employees to embrace making mistakes, as a fear of failure will hold them back from taking potentially rewarding risks.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
You can't avoid mistakes in life or business, so it's how you handle them that counts. Here's what these business owners and Advisors in The Oracles do when their employees make mistakes.
1. Fire high performers with bad attitudes
2. Empower your employees
3. Embrace failure
4. Ask these questions
5. Consider their intention
6. Take responsibility
7. Update your employee training
8. Be compassionate
9. Support your team
10. Treat mistakes as a chance for collective learning