In the WFH era, soft skills like public speaking and persuasion are not so essential after all
work from homeera has changed the course of skill sets that employers are now looking for while hiring talent pool.
- Persuasion and
public speaking skillswill no more help you get a job, salary hike or promotion.
- Companies are now looking for a growth mindset, creativity and other
soft skills— which showcases that work is all that matters now.
AdvertisementIndia possesses the best tech talent but only few ever make it to team leading roles due to lack of soft skills like public speaking abilities or persuasion.
The tide has now turned for techies and most others across sectors, as employers are now discounting these skills in a post-pandemic world where most people are working from home.
“Interestingly, persuasion (-6%) and public speaking (-12%) saw a de-growth, highlighting that these skills were not at the forefront for employers,” said a report by Indeed.
New-age soft skills
The new-age ‘soft’ skills that employers now look for are not so soft either. The report says that growth mindset is the skill that they now search for the most, its importance rising by 194%.
“This ability is usually defined as believing that a professional can develop his capabilities through dedication and hard work, that learning is always part of the process, and that resilience is critical to achieving results,” the report says.
The second most ‘searched’ skill is creativity, rising by 72%; followed by critical thinking and autonomy both of which are 45%.
“Autonomy is — being able to plan and work in the way that is most conducive to their own best performance -- also grew in the last two years,” the report said.
Soft skills can differentiate
For employers, soft skills are differentiating factors especially when they have to choose from a large and equally qualified talent pool – employees who can help them provide that ‘edge’ in innovation and growth.
The pandemic has redefined what it means for businesses to have talent with equal amounts of soft skills as
The other soft skills that employers are looking for include resourcefulness, decision making, time management, teamwork, adaptability and problem solving.
AdvertisementSoft skills, unlike technical or
“Because these are often innate personality traits, job seekers already possess several marketable soft skills that might help them get and be successful in a job. Though many are formed with one's personality, soft skills can also be learned and developed with practice and experience,” said Saumitra Chand, career expert at Indeed.
Fin services will beat tech with the best salary hikes in 2023, says report
Talent crunch biggest obstacle to Indian startups’ US expansion, says report
Popular on BI
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- Oppo launches mid-range Reno 8T smartphone and affordable Enco Air3 truly wireless earbuds in India
- Oppo Reno 8T Review: Standard Reno series experience with a more attractive design
- Hindenburg Effect: Last 9 days wipe out gains clocked by Adani Group in 2022
- Low H-1B visa limit affecting employers: National Foundation for American Policy
- Rupee gains 12 paise to 82.08 against US dollar