Meta to begin laying off another 11K employees in multiple waves next week
According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, citing sources, Meta Platforms is planning "additional
It would be roughly the same magnitude as the 13 per cent cut to its workforce last year, the report said late on Friday.
"The company is also expected to shut down some projects and teams in conjunction with these cuts," the report mentioned.
Complimentary Tech Event
Transform talent with learning that works
Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.Know More
The job cuts will hit projects on wearable devices at Reality Labs, along with Meta's hardware and Metaverse vertical that is bleeding billions of dollars at the moment.
However, the final count of the cumulative job cuts expected over the second quarter isn't clear yet.
"We're continuing to look across the company, across both Family of Apps and Reality Labs, and really evaluate whether we are deploying our resources toward the highest leverage opportunities," Meta Chief Financial Officer Susan Li said at an Morgan Stanley conference on Thursday.
"This is going to result in us making some tough decisions to wind down projects in some places, to shift resources away from some teams," Li added.
After firing 11,000 employees in November last year, Meta is planning to reduce headcount further in its "year of efficiency" as envisioned by its Founder and CEO
In his latest quarterly earnings call with analysts, Zuckerberg said that "I just think we've entered somewhat of a phase change for the company".
AdvertisementHe said that global headcount steadily climbed for nearly two decades, making it "very hard to really crank on efficiency while you're growing that quickly".
SEE ALSO: HBO Originals White Lotus, Big Little Lies & more that'll vanish from Disney+Hotstar
Inflows into equity MFs hit a 9-month high in Feb, retail MF folios at record high
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister