The boss machine is here — AI is all set to eliminate middle managment in 8 years
- The massive pace at which companies are adopting automation and
artificial intelligencemay lead to elimination of middle management roles over the next decade.
- Smart machines will soon become co-workers — changing the modus operandi of how employees work.
- According to
Gartner, “People managers will focus on people-related activities that require intuition, empathy and interpersonal skills.”
- A recent McKinsey report also said that nearly half of the activities undertaken by the workers could be automated — including managing expertise.
“We will need fewer people managers as many of the management tasks such as collecting data, supervising actions and ensuring compliances will be completed by algorithm and robosses,” said a thought leadership report by Gartner.
This echoes a recent McKinsey report which said that nearly half of the activities undertaken by the workers could be automated — including managing expertise.
Complimentary Tech Event
Transform talent with learning that works
Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.Know More
Algorithmic management will take over
Middle management roles which transition between actual teams and top management which creates strategies - is in charge of execution. AI-enabled systems which have the potential to grasp knowledge and adapt to it as they make decisions- can ensure execution in the future.
For example, if an AI is managing a sales team, it can distribute work, assign and ensure targets are met. All these tasks can be taken over by an intuitive AI. And since an AI manager can perform multiple tasks without fatigue that humans suffer, they will be able to bring in more efficiencies.
According to the Gartner report, these smart machines will soon become co-workers — changing the modus operandi of how employees work. In fact, technology will replace the human resource functionalities — acting as employees hired by the IT.
This will do away with the need of middle managers and accelerate ‘we working’ in autonomous teams across diversified roles.
“People managers will focus on people-related activities that require intuition, empathy and interpersonal skills,” the report said.
In a situation when human employees have to report to ‘boss machines’, they have to improve their digital skills not just to perform tasks but to communicate.
The report calls human and technology productivity a killer combo - where technology will not take away the jobs — but will become a co-worker. “From recruiting to performance reviews, departments of ‘robot resources’ will rival human resources” by 2028.
AI itself can replace nearly 400 million workers globally over the next decade. It means organizations would need workers that can work with AI.
According to a report by Great Learning, the number of AI jobs has outpaced the talent in the job market. As many as 2,500 AI job roles remain vacant even as companies adopt the technology.
AdvertisementHere's how artificial intelligence changed the way we eat, write, drive and talk
Here's why digital marketing is as lucrative a career as data science and machine learning
These are the top 15 emerging jobs in India, according to LinkedIn
Popular on BI
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar