Chandrayaan 2 is on its way to find water on the Moon — and looks like there could be lots of it
- A new study in
Nature Geosciencehas determined that the craters on Mercuryand the craters on the Moon's South Pole are spatially similar.
- Researchers compared the shadows of the craters in both regions.
- They have determined that its likely that the Moon's craters are similarly filled with ice vapour and water like the craters on Mercury.
Prior studies have already determined that Mercury’s craters shelter water and ice vapour. And, Chandrayaan 1’s crash landing onto the Moon discovered the presence of water particles.
So, in order to determine the consistency of water inside the Moon’s craters, three researchers compared the the diameter to depth ratios of craters on Mercury and the Moon’s South Pole.
Their study published in Nature Geoscience concludes that similar shadowed areas on both space bodies could indicate the same consistency of ice.
Millions of tonnes of ice
Researchers note that the thermal conditions of both space objects are similar in nature in their study.
On Mercury, the LRO probe discovered that the craters on Mercury consisted of water and ice vapour. And, since the craters on the Moon are similar in their construction, they conclude that the material collecting in them is most likely ice as well.
We find that previously detected surface ice deposits in the south polar region of the Moon are spatially correlated with shallow craters, indicating that the surface ice may be exhumed or linked to the subsurface via diffusion.
With the Chandrayaan 2 launch, India's historic Moon mission has taken off
India's Chandrayaan 2 takes the lead ahead of America, Russia, and China as the first of many missions to the Moon's South Pole
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- WazirX got 377 requests from law enforcement agencies in the last 6 months
- ZEEL announces new a-la-carte channel and bouquet pricing in compliance with New Tariff Order
- Best protective cases for Apple Airpods
- Airtel, Vodafone Idea and Reliance Jio have till October 29 to opt for the AGR dues moratorium
- Nokia launches 'rugged' XR20 smartphone in India, starting at ₹46,999