Learn or leave — tech majors are either reskilling employees or slashing jobs
Cognizantis planning to reskill and redeploy roughly 5,000 senior level employees as a part of its structural rejig. Capgeminihas reskilled over 51,000 people in 2019 so far in technologies like cloud, devOps, and big data.
- Technology majors believe that they can improve their margins if their workforce is well-versed emerging technologies.
With technologies like AI and
Last month, Cognizant said that is planning to reskill and redeploy its senior level employees as a part of its structural rejig. “The gross reduction is expected to lead to a net reduction of approximately 5,000 to 7,000 roles as the company aims to reskill and redeploy approximately 5,000 of the total associates impacted,” said Karen McLoughlin, CFO, Cognizant in its latest earnings call.
And it is not just engineers that they want to be well-versed in technologies. It is also hiring 500 sales professionals skilled in digital technologies. As of June, the technology major had 288,200 employees — and over half of them are in India.
Capgemini too said that it reskilled over 51,000 of its employees in 2019 so far. They are skilled in emerging technologies like cloud, devOps, and big data. Last year, it upskilled over 60,000 employees through its ‘Automation Drive Academy.’ The initiative helps the company identify opportunities in the
The cloud of this silver lining is that neither of these tech majors are reskilling ‘all’ its employees. As companies are restructuring, these upskilling projects run parallel to job losses. Capgemini has already started laying off 500 people in India to improve productivity. In Cognizant too, as many as 7,000 mid and senior level jobs are on the line — accounting for 2% of its workforce.
Benching, firing and re-deploying — the story of 20,000 employees at tech majors
Over half of Indian students will not have skills for 21st century jobs, warns UNICEF
Advertisement7,000 Cognizant jobs are on the line as the tech major rejigs workforce
Popular on BI
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range