Chiacoin claims to be an eco-friendly cryptocurrency — here's how it works
- Chiacoin’s unique selling point is farming, a substitute for mining that does not pollute the
- Miners use hard drives to allocate as much space as possible for farming.
- The idea is to reduce electricity consumption as much as possible and lower inequality in mining.
Environmental concerns have always haunted bitcoin, and Musk, being a green-energy champion, was open about his reservations about the cryptocurrency. But here's a new concept in town, and it promises to be environmentally friendly.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
Chia is a blockchain and intelligent transaction platform that aims to provide all the benefits of a standard cryptocurrency -- decentralisation, efficiency, and security. But its unique selling point is farming -- a substitute for mining that does not pollute the environment. It was launched in 2017, but was relatively low-key in the mainstream media. The Chia Network was founded by US-based computer programmer Bram Cohen who also invented the peer-to-peer file-sharing system BitTorrent.
AdvertisementOn May 3, it announced the launch of
Miners use the hard drives to allocate as much space as possible to the lucrative, low-cost mining or farming of the
The Chia Network also consists of a “smart coin," which is used for transactions that include multiple contracts and capabilities. Chialisp is an application within the network capable of performing banking processes, payments, asset disbursement, and exchanges.
The network's "proof of space and time" is the first of its kind. It makes it easier for the average Joe to take part in the process without requiring massive investments. The idea is to reduce electricity consumption as much as possible and to lower inequality in mining.
Like other cryptocurrencies, Chiacoin has gained a lot of attention, and many have turned to full-time farming. While Bitcoin and other coins fuelled intense demand for central processing units (CPUs) and graphics processing units (GPUs), Chia has kicked off a race for the best-in-class storage equipment, globally. Shares of disk-drive makers have soared after Chiacoin was launched, giving both Seagate and Western Digital at least a 15% push within two days.
As of May 18, 4:30 p.m., one Chiacoin is worth $1366 (₹99,761) against an all-time high of $1645 (₹120136).
WazirX has listed Shiba Inu — here's everything you need to know about the said Dogecoin killer
Maharashtra to consider staggered reopening depending on the COVID-19 cases in the state
- Byju's most valuable startup in India and 11th in the world with a valuation of $16.5 billion
- India witnesses decline in daily COVID-19 cases with 80,834 fresh cases in last 24 hours, lowest since April 1
- Delhi reports its lowest daily COVID-19 cases in 104 days, records 213 single day COVID-19 cases
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem