Chiacoin claims to be an eco-friendly cryptocurrency — here's how it works
- Chiacoin’s unique selling point is farming, a substitute for mining that does not pollute the
- Miners use hard drives to allocate as much space as possible for farming.
- The idea is to reduce electricity consumption as much as possible and lower inequality in mining.
Environmental concerns have always haunted bitcoin, and Musk, being a green-energy champion, was open about his reservations about the cryptocurrency. But here's a new concept in town, and it promises to be environmentally friendly.
Chia is a blockchain and intelligent transaction platform that aims to provide all the benefits of a standard cryptocurrency -- decentralisation, efficiency, and security. But its unique selling point is farming -- a substitute for mining that does not pollute the environment. It was launched in 2017, but was relatively low-key in the mainstream media. The Chia Network was founded by US-based computer programmer Bram Cohen who also invented the peer-to-peer file-sharing system BitTorrent.
On May 3, it announced the launch of
Miners use the hard drives to allocate as much space as possible to the lucrative, low-cost mining or farming of the
The Chia Network also consists of a “smart coin," which is used for transactions that include multiple contracts and capabilities. Chialisp is an application within the network capable of performing banking processes, payments, asset disbursement, and exchanges.
The network's "proof of space and time" is the first of its kind. It makes it easier for the average Joe to take part in the process without requiring massive investments. The idea is to reduce electricity consumption as much as possible and to lower inequality in mining.
Like other cryptocurrencies, Chiacoin has gained a lot of attention, and many have turned to full-time farming. While Bitcoin and other coins fuelled intense demand for central processing units (CPUs) and graphics processing units (GPUs), Chia has kicked off a race for the best-in-class storage equipment, globally. Shares of disk-drive makers have soared after Chiacoin was launched, giving both Seagate and Western Digital at least a 15% push within two days.
As of May 18, 4:30 p.m., one Chiacoin is worth $1366 (₹99,761) against an all-time high of $1645 (₹120136).
WazirX has listed Shiba Inu — here's everything you need to know about the said Dogecoin killer
Maharashtra to consider staggered reopening depending on the COVID-19 cases in the state
Popular on BI
- Beijing says it's 'natural' for the US to 'feel sour' after Boeing loses out to Airbus on $37 billion China plane deal
- This start-up creates ‘green’ water out of thin air and sells it at ₹4 per liter
- Coinbase-backed Indian crypto exchange Vauld suspends trading, deposits and withdrawals amid market downturn
- You can pre-book iPhone 14 even before its launch, only if you are willing to pay $9,520 for it
- Twitter seeks judicial review against new content blocking directives from the IT Ministry
- 5G spectrum auctions might not see a bidding war as there’s ‘enough’ for everyone
- ENG v IND, 5th Test: England storms to record win over India
- Unilever, Adani Group and ITC and other top companies that pledged to turn Carbon neutral