Maharashtra to consider staggered reopening depending on the COVID-19 cases in the state
Maharashtrais one of the worst affected states in the country by the pandemic.
- The state government will consider a staggered reopening considering various parameters -- the number of COVID cases being on top of the concerns.
- Thackeray said, “People will be allowed to step out for non-essential services only if the COVID cases are controlled.”
AdvertisementAaditya Thackeray, state’s travel and environment minister, said on Tuesday morning that the government will consider reopening the state after the third lockdown based on the number of active COVID cases it has.
Maharashtra is one of the worst affected states in the country by the pandemic. The state will remain under a full lockdown till June 1.
The state government will consider a staggered reopening considering various parameters -- the number of COVID cases being on top of the concerns. However, manufacturing services and industries continued to operate during the whole lockdown period. People were allowed to step out for essential services like buying groceries, getting tested for COVID-19 and for vaccinations.
Thackeray said, “People will be allowed to step out for non-essential services only if the COVID cases are controlled.”
“The state is seeking global tender supplies of COVID-19 vaccines and trying to vaccinate as many people as possible in order to prevent the third wave of Coronavirus predicted in the month of September and October,” said Thackeray.
He added that Maharashtra had vaccinated 500,000 people in a single day, two weeks ago. The state has administered vaccines to 2 crore people, so far.
Vaccinating people in rural areas is another logistical challenge, added the minister. However, young people are motivated to take up the vaccine and are getting vaccinated in large numbers as they want to start their ‘new normal’ life, said Thackeray.
Maharashtra, currently, has 4,45,495 active COVID-19 cases and 82,486 people have died, so far, due to the novel Coronavirus.
Google said to rival Apple’s privacy push with Android 12 while taking care of its advertising business
Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has six months to answer these five questions
WazirX has listed Shiba Inu — here's everything you need to know about the said Dogecoin killer
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry
- Best budget headphone for work from home in India
- More than 60% LGBTQ+ cancelled travel plans in India last year with over 90% fearing for their safety