Maharashtra to consider staggered reopening depending on the COVID-19 cases in the state
Maharashtrais one of the worst affected states in the country by the pandemic.
- The state government will consider a staggered reopening considering various parameters -- the number of COVID cases being on top of the concerns.
- Thackeray said, “People will be allowed to step out for non-essential services only if the COVID cases are controlled.”
Maharashtra is one of the worst affected states in the country by the pandemic. The state will remain under a full lockdown till June 1.
The state government will consider a staggered reopening considering various parameters -- the number of COVID cases being on top of the concerns. However, manufacturing services and industries continued to operate during the whole lockdown period. People were allowed to step out for essential services like buying groceries, getting tested for COVID-19 and for vaccinations.
AdvertisementThackeray said, “People will be allowed to step out for non-essential services only if the COVID cases are controlled.”
“The state is seeking global tender supplies of COVID-19 vaccines and trying to vaccinate as many people as possible in order to prevent the third wave of Coronavirus predicted in the month of September and October,” said Thackeray.
He added that Maharashtra had vaccinated 500,000 people in a single day, two weeks ago. The state has administered vaccines to 2 crore people, so far.
Vaccinating people in rural areas is another logistical challenge, added the minister. However, young people are motivated to take up the vaccine and are getting vaccinated in large numbers as they want to start their ‘new normal’ life, said Thackeray.
Maharashtra, currently, has 4,45,495 active COVID-19 cases and 82,486 people have died, so far, due to the novel Coronavirus.
Google said to rival Apple’s privacy push with Android 12 while taking care of its advertising business
Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has six months to answer these five questions
WazirX has listed Shiba Inu — here's everything you need to know about the said Dogecoin killer
Popular on BI
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders