Elon Musk’s Tesla may be ready for a second innings in cryptocurrency payments
- The electric car company owned by billionaire
Elon Musk, Tesla, is mulling over possibly accepting cryptocurrencyas payment again.
- It had temporarily opened the doors to
Bitcoinearly in the year, before taking a u-turn over energy consumption concerns.
- According to Musk, Tesla would only consider accepting Bitcoin as payment again if 50% of mining is done using clean energy.
AdvertisementElectric car maker Tesla and its founder, Elon Musk, don’t seem to have given up on crypto payments just yet. In its third-quarter earnings release today, the company hinted that it could start transacting in cryptocurrencies for its products and services in the future.
“We may in the future restart the practice of transacting in cryptocurrencies ("digital assets") for our products and services.”
After becoming profitable for the first time since its inception last year, the company became the sixth ever to surpass $1 trillion in market value on Monday after sealing a new deal with Hertz for the biggest-ever rental car order.
Tesla also said that in the nine months ended September 30, the company has bought an aggregate of $1.5 billion worth of Bitcoin. “In addition, during the three months ended March 31, 2021, we accepted bitcoin as a payment for sales of certain of our products in specified regions, subject to applicable laws, and suspended this practice in May 2021,” it added.
For a more in-depth discussion, come on over to Business Insider Cryptosphere — a forum where users can deep dive into all things crypto, engage in interesting discussions and stay ahead of the curve.
Crypto market is in the green again, but cryptocurrencies aren't making any sharp moves
Elon Musk brings Shiba Inu back to Earth — Dogecoin is the only meme token he’s betting on
Elon Musk gives Dogecoin a boost but dampens Shiba Inu’s meteoric rise
Popular on BI
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- Telangana minister wants cess scrapped and fuel prices back to 2014 levels
- Not just India, many countries are protecting their wheat to keep daily bread, affordable
- Chidambaram triggers state vs center revenue debate after govt's excise cut on fuel
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off