The deadly drone that killed Qassem Soleimani weighs as much as an African elephant
- The MQ-9 Reaper drone is known for being one the deadliest unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in the world.
- Most recently it carried out the air strike to assassinate Iran's Qassem Soleimani, who's funeral is today with more than a million marching to mourn his death.
- The drone weighs as much as an elephant, can fly higher than commercial aircraft yet be pin-drop silent a mere 250 meters from the ground.
AdvertisementThe MQ-9 Reaper, or ‘Predator B’ drone has only one objective — to find, fix and finish its targets. One of the deadliest drones in US’ arsenal is used against ‘dynamic execution targets’. On January 2, it assassinated Iran’s military general, Qassem Soleimani.
Today, Soleimani’s funeral procession is one of the largest ever in Iran with more than a million people flooding the streets and chanting ‘Iran’s wearing black, revenge, revenge’.
The MQ-9 Reaper drone is regarded as one of the deadliest in the world. Not just because of its speed and firepower, but also because of its stealth.
The successor to the MQ-1
The ‘M’ in its name stands for ‘multi-role’ while the 9 designates where it falls in the series of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
At the cost of $64.2 million per unit, the US Air Force has bought 93 of these deadly machines from the General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.
Here’s what makes the MQ-9 Reaper the world’s most feared drone:
The MQ-9 Reaper is designed to be a lean, mean, fighting machine
The drone weighs 2,223 kilos with a wingspan of 20 metres
It can fly up to 15 kilometres in the air while carrying 1,701 kilograms
The MQ-9 Reaper can go as fast as 482 kilometres per hour
Even at just 250 to 300 metres above the ground, the MQ-9 Reaper drone hardly makes any noise
It’s remotely operated by a pilot and a sensor operator that control the drone from 1,850 kilometres away
The MQ-9 Reaper drone lays down more than one net to catch its prey
US' deadliest drone packs a lot of firepower
Popular on BI
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- Sennheiser launches HD 660S2 headphones at ₹54,990 in India
- 'Consistent with dignity, socially acceptable', SC mulls panel to examine less painful method of execution
- Reliance Jio's True 5G now available in over 406 cities
- Brent crude oil prices remain under pressure on tensions that risks in global banking sector may spark a recession worldwide
- Ad-free videos to background play, here’s everything you get with YouTube Premium