Donald Trump is preparing for battles in outer space
- US President
Donald Trumpestablished the 'US Space Command' on Thursday.
- Trump said that it's a 'big deal' and that US adversaries will now have to deal with 'a whole different ball game'.
- He also defined outer space as the 'next warfighting domain'.
The creation — technically the 'recreation' — of a military branch to deal with combat in space is "a big deal", according to Trump.
"Those who wish to harm the United States, to seek and challenge us in the ultimate high ground of space — it's gonna be a whole different ball game," he said addressing the press from the White House Rose Garden.
Former US President Ronald Reagan created a similar branch during his tenure in the early 80s. It was disbanded after the 11 September 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, as when the Pentagon shifted its focus to terrorism.
The next warfighting domain
"Our adversaries are weaponizing Earth's orbits with new technology targeting American satellites which are critical to both battlefield operations and our way of life at home," said Trump.
He added, "Just as we have recognized land, sea, air and cyber as vital warfighting domains — we will now treat space as an independent region overseen by a new unified geographic combatant command."
US Vice President Mike Pence, when announcing Trump's plans for the
Support for the Space Force
During his speech, Trump promised that he'll establish the US Space Force as the sixth brand of the armed forces. Space Command, dubbed SpaceCom, will follow Space Force's lead when it comes to organising, training and equipping its missions.
While the bills to establish a Space Force still have to pass in the US Congress — some people have already expressed their support for the initiative.
Others, like Astonaut Mark Kelly, think it's a ' dumb idea'.
Trump's Space Force is about beating China, as Beijing's talking like it already owns space
Trump wants to create the first US military branch to fight in space - here's what the 'Space Force' could look like
Steve Carell and the creator of 'The Office' are producing a new Netflix comedy mocking Trump's Space Force
- From coffee made out of poop to the one exported from a remote island in the middle of Atlantic Ocean – these are the most expensive coffee in the world
- Lal Bahadur Shastri famous quotes
- Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2020: Mahatma Gandhi Famous Quotes
- Reliance Retail raises another ₹1,875 crore as Silver Lake comes back with an additional investment
- India leaves borrowing calendar unchanged — sticks to its ₹12 lakh crore target for the year