Two Indian courts have now ruled that online fantasy leagues are legal and a game of skill
Bombay High Courthas dismissed a PIL which claimed Dream11encourages gambling.
- The High Court order has said that it is a game of skill, and not chance.
- Earlier, the Punjab and Haryana High Court too had declared the Dream11 format of fantasy sports as legal.
AdvertisementIndian gaming unicorn Dream11 has got another big boost – from Bombay High Court no less. The High Court dismissed a PIL filed by an advocate and said that Dream11 is a game of skill and not of chance.
The PIL had claimed that online fantasy league game encourages gambling.
This comes after the Punjab and Haryana High Court too declared the Dream11 format of fantasy sports as legal. The order said that the game requires considerable skill and judgment. This order was further ratified by the Supreme Court.
The Indian fantasy gaming industry is projected to be a ₹118.8 billion market by 2023. While cricket holds the majority of the market share, other games are picking up too.
Dream11 has had a great run this year – from turning a unicorn with a billion Dollar valuation, in April 2019. Its users also swelled to 67 million after IPL in 2019, and was also the official partners for the league.
With the ongoing World Cup, Dream11 aims to gain even more.
“We expect to have 90 million users by the end of the World Cup and 100 million by the end of 2019,” Bhavit Sheth, COO, Dream11 had told Business Insider in an interview earlier. Sheth and Harsh Jain had co-founded the startup, 11 years ago.
As England vs South Africa game kicks off, the World Cup is fuelling Dream11's dream run in 2019
This 1983 cricket World Cup star just turned brand advisor for India’s latest fantasy gaming startup
This 7-month old startup has $35.5 million funding from Sequoia and Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister