IISc emerges as the top Indian institution in THE Asia Rankings for fifth consecutive year
- For the fifth time in a row,
Indian Institute of Science( IISc) has topped the list of Indian universitiesfeaturing in the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia Rankings 2020.
- According to the global list, IISc is ranked at 36th position across the Asian universities.
- However, it has dropped by seven spots — from 29th in 2019 to 36th this year.
However, it has dropped by seven spots — from 29th in 2019 to 36th this year.
But IISc has managed to retain its position among the Indian institutes because of its performance score for teaching and research. In the teaching capability, it scored 63.8 points while it is also placed high in terms of industry income at 57.1 points. Students are increasingly opting for technical courses in artificial intelligence, machine learning — thanks to the growing demand for technical professionals in the job market.
On the other hand, IISc scored well on other indicators too. The institute scored 61.6 points for its research capabilities. “To measure productivity, we count the number of papers published in the academic journals indexed by Elsevier’s Scopus database per scholar, scaled for institutional size and normalised for subject. ” THE report said.
The rankings are based on five parameters or performance indicators — including the learning environment or teaching, research capabilities, citations, income and international outlook. Research and citations account for 60% while calculating the performance of an institution.
“The desire to champion India’s place among the world’s greatest research-led institutions has been compounded by a record number of Indian universities submitting for our gold standard World University Rankings 2021, which will be released this September,” added Phil Baty, Chief Knowledge Officer at THE.
Overall, eight Indian institutions have been ranked in the top 100 list this year. These include Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar, IIT Indore, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee and Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT).
8 Indian universities feature in THE Asia Rankings top 100 list — and it's not just IITs
AdvertisementIIT Bombay, Kharagpur, Roorkee and Kanpur students will not have to sit for final year exams
Digital skills that experts believe you need to survive the current job crisis
- Stocks to track on March 4 — HDFC, Airtel, Infosys, Adani Ports and others
- Deficit budget tabled in Arunachal Assembly with focus on
- DPR for piped water connection project announced in Rajasthan Budget to be ready by Aug 30: BD Kalla
- Budget session of Karnataka legislature to begin on Thursday
- Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin shows 81% efficacy after second dose in phase 3 trials