Just like SBI, ICICI Bank has created a cash cushion in case bad loans rise
- ICICI Bank has sold stake in two of its insurance subsidiaries in the last quarter that could lead to significan t boost in its profits this quarter.
- Analyst estimates put the profit rise at an average of 50%.
- Most of the profit will be put towards contingencies and provisions to take stock of when the moratorium ends on August 31.
|ICICI Prudential Life||₹ 840 crore|
|ICICI Lombard||₹ 2250 crore|
Last quarter, India’s largest public sector bank — the State Bank of India (SBI) — saw its profits jump four times higher on a yearly basis after it sold its stake in SBI Cards and SBI Life Insurance. “This is the highest ever yearly profit recorded by the bank,” said SBI.
|SBI Life Insurance||₹ 3843.4 crore|
|SBI Cards||₹ 2,731|
“Among large banks, we expect ICICI to report strong profitability,” said Emkay Research, estimating that profit after tax will increase by nearly 60%.
|Brokerage||NII growth YoY||PAT growth YoY|
Loan growth will continue to remain a cause for concern due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Fee and commission income slowing down along with the slashing of the base rates will add pressure on margins.
Motilal Oswal estimates that slippages will continue to remain high at around 3.3% leading to higher credit cost. An improvement in the ratio of non-performing assets (NPA) could cushion the blow.
Nonetheless, the true extent of NPAs will only come to light once the moratorium comes to an end on August 31. In the previous quarter, nearly 30% of ICICI Bank’s loan book was under the moratorium, with more than one-third of the loans in the retail segment.
AdvertisementAxis Bank, which had around 25% of its loans opting for a moratorium during the same time, was able to bring it down to just 9.7% in the first quarter. “Management commentary on business momentum, moratorium trends and any granular details on moratorium availments will be important,” said Nomura.
India's largest bank's profit spikes thanks to SBI Cards share sale— bad loans are under control
ICICI Bank to reward 80k employees with up to 8% pay hike for work done during COVID-19
Axis Bank finalises Max Life Insurance investment and is closer to raising more funds
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar
- Protesting farmers break barricades at Delhi borders, entering the national capital ahead of time