India’s digital payments soar – UPI crosses ₹5 lakh crore in transaction value in March
- UPI crossed ₹5 lakh crore in value in March with 2.3 billion transactions, closing the financial year 2021 on a big high.
- Over the past one year, UPI has seen exponential growth and taking home the biggest shares in the market are players like PhonePe, Paytm and Google Pay.
- But the growing numbers also come at a time when the National Payments Corporation of India is looking to cap each company’s market share in UPI.
The March numbers come after a marginal dip in February.
|Month||Transaction value in crore||Transaction volume in billion|
AdvertisementOver the past one year, UPI has seen exponential growth and taking home the biggest shares in the market are players like PhonePe, Paytm and Google Pay.
But the growing numbers also come at a time when the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is looking to cap each company’s market share in UPI. According to the NPCI’s official statement, UPI transactions on third party payment apps cannot exceed 30% of the overall volume of transactions processed in UPI during the preceding three months.
While the cap will be effective from January 1, 2021, existing third party operators like Google Pay and PhonePe, who have 40% market share, have been given until 2022 to comply with the new rules.
According to a report by Boston Consulting Group and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), India’s fintech is a $100 billion opportunity and UPI has had a major role to play in that. “From large payments players to upcoming RegTech startups, India’s public digital infrastructure—IndiaStack, has been the wind beneath India FinTechs’ wings. On top of Aadhaar and UPI, several layers like the Bharat Bill Payment System and Aadhaar Enabled Payment System have been built,” said the report.
Paytm Money set to hire 250 engineers for its new technology centre in Pune
Popular on BI
- Chingari raises $15 million to enhance tech, launch new features
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Best deals on kitchen appliances
- Amazon Sale: Best deals on kitchen items and dining products
- The street is dumping HCL Tech shares because its employees are leaving at a faster rate than ever before
- China has built an artificial moon like facility to test tech made for lunar surface
- Section 144 in Mumbai
- Elon Musk
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022